Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Help with p1903 unit marked bayonet

Article about: Hello Guys .I have a P1903 with blade concerted from a 1888 which looks like it,s been chromed at some point .It as unit marks on the side of pommal 3 N&I 229,and allso a stamp on the en

?

Default Help with p1903 unit marked bayonet

Hello Guys .I have a P1903 with blade concerted from a 1888 which looks like it,s been chromed at some point .It as unit marks on the side of pommal 3 N&I 229,and allso a stamp on the end which is a little worn i think it could be S.R or S B &N please have a look at pics .Does any one no what unit it could be,any info would be welcome.Paul
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Help with p1903 unit marked  bayonet   Help with p1903 unit marked  bayonet  

Help with p1903 unit marked  bayonet  
    Attached Images Attached Images Help with p1903 unit marked  bayonet  Help with p1903 unit marked  bayonet  Help with p1903 unit marked  bayonet  Help with p1903 unit marked  bayonet  Help with p1903 unit marked  bayonet 

Default Re: Help with p1903 unit marked bayonet

Paul

The SB & N marking is probably Sanderson Brothers and Newbould who made Patt 1888, Patt 1903 and Patt 1907 bayonets.

If the other marking is N & D, then that according to Ian Skennerton in his book on markings is an abbreviation for Notts & Derby - a county association established following the introduction of the Territorial and Reserve Forces Act 1907.

Can't find anything for "N&I"

Regards

Richie

?

Thanks for the info Richie

Quote by Richie B View Post
    Paul

The SB & N marking is probably Sanderson Brothers and Newbould who made Patt 1888, Patt 1903 and Patt 1907 bayonets.

If the other marking is N & D, then that according to Ian Skennerton in his book on markings is an abbreviation for Notts & Derby - a county association established following the introduction of the Territorial and Reserve Forces Act 1907.

Can't find anything for "N&I"

Regards

Richie
    I agree with this, except that 3N&D is actually 3rd Battalion, Sherwood Foresters (Nottinghamshire and Derbyshire) Regiment . It's the actual regiment, not the County Assiciation.

Rob

Quote by Battery Command Post View Post
    I agree with this, except that 3N&D is actually 3rd Battalion, Sherwood Foresters (Nottinghamshire and Derbyshire) Regiment . It's the actual regiment, not the County Assiciation.

Rob
    Absolutely - totally forgot about the "3"

?

Thanks again for the info lads.