Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here

Identification help needed, please.

Article about: Hi. I'm a new member so please advise me if I breach any protocols. My sister discovered this bayonet in a plowed field outside of Clovis, NM. The blade is currently rusted into the scabbard

Default Identification help needed, please.

Hi. I'm a new member so please advise me if I breach any protocols.

My sister discovered this bayonet in a plowed field outside of Clovis, NM. The blade is currently rusted into the scabbard, so any stampings are not visible. In many ways, it resembles some of the Arisaka Type 30's, but it also resembles some of the Remington Rolling Block varieties, and the Mauser 1909.

Not visible in the photos is the metal bead, or ball, on the tip of the scabbard.

Any and all identification help will be appreciated.
    Thank youIdentification help needed, please.Identification help needed, please.Identification help needed, please.Identification help needed, please.

Default Re: Identification help needed, please.

You are correct, It's an Arisaka bayonet. Welcome to the forum!

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Thank you, Ned.
    I think I've seen you on TV... )

I get around a bit.....
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Ned, I'm sorry to bother you again, but I have a "restoration" question. My sister would like to attempt to separate the bayonet from the scabbard. It is currently rusted in. We are aware that there is little monetary value here because of the condition, but she does not want to damage it any more than it already is. I suggested taking a length of pipe just a little longer than the scabbard, putting an end cap on one end, inserting the bayonet, and filling the pipe with kerosene. I know that kero will penetrate rust. I think it is important to *not* soak the grip in kero. It will swell, and crack.

What do you think about this method? Is there a better way that won't cost more than the value of the item?

Your help is greatly appreciated.
    Adk boy

You could try to squirt some easing oil like WD-40 into the scabbard, and repeat over a few days before trying to remove it. But there's a very good chance that when you try to withdraw the blade it will break or disintergrate, the scabbard has been like a water trap remember, so personally I'd leave it as is, your not gaining anything by trying IMO, as it is in a relic condition and worth little compared to if it was recovered on Iwo Jima and not in a field in New Mexico. And even then it's still a negligable difference.

Keep it for what it is,as it is, that's my view.

Regards, Ned.

Thank you. I'll pass your message along, and leave it up to her, as it is her "find".
    Regards,
    Adk boy

What a strange find for the location. I advise to leave it as it is too, as Ned says the scabbard has trapped moisture in there for decades so it's probably all just swollen blocks of rust inside. It looks pretty cool as it is.

Quote by KradSpam View Post
    What a strange find for the location. I advise to leave it as it is too, as Ned says the scabbard has trapped moisture in there for decades so it's probably all just swollen blocks of rust inside. It looks pretty cool as it is.
    I don't think it's that strange. New Mexico is famous for it's onion fields, they add around $50 million to the state's income per year . That bayo would make a fine topping and tailling tool for any field worker believe me. Don't take much to drop it or just forget it. But then again.....who knows!

Regards, El Ned.