Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Identity of a bayonet

Article about: Hello Gents...a co worker knowing that I collect and study WW2 brought in a bayonet to be identified ..which I have no clue. he said his grandfather brought it back home after he served. The

Default Identity of a bayonet

Hello Gents...a co worker knowing that I collect and study WW2 brought in a bayonet to be identified ..which I have no clue. he said his grandfather brought it back home after he served.

There is a kings crown on both sides of the ricasso and numbering on the crossguard.
    Your divine intervention would be appreciated.

Regards Larry

Identity of a bayonetIdentity of a bayonet
    Identity of a bayonet
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

?

Swedish M1914

Semper Fi
    Phil

Any History of this bayonet that came from Sweden being a Neutral country during the war?

Who had these Swedish rifles and where did they serve?
    Im just gathering as much Info a I can to help my coworker piece together how his grandfather picked it up.
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

This should help. Ian's videos are excellent for the backstory.
    YouTube

?

Now the Swedes did sell the Finn's some 1896's for service during WW2.

Swedish Mauser - Wikipedia

Where/when did his dad pick it up?

Semper Fi
    Phil

Here's the rifle it was for

Identity of a bayonet

I know the Swedes helped out the Finns with weapons during the Winter War with the USSR. I can't find anything about the Swedes exporting weapons to any other countries though.

Great info Gents Thaankyou

Last question any thoughts on the numbers on the crossguard ?

Regards Larry

HgF
    ?

The bayonet is marked: 1/K.8 No 57. This means: First Company/ K.8 (Norrland´s Dragon Regiment) weapon number 57. Norrland´s Dragon Regiment existed i this form between 1893 and 1927. (I think K.8 was located at Arvidsjaur in northern Sweden). After 1927 the K.8 regiment was renumbered K.4.

Greetings from
    Stockholm - Sweden

Gentlemen thankyou Greatly for all your input and knowledge. You have given more in these few posts than what my co worker friend has known and felt he was at a dead end knowing his grandfathers foot steps when he picked up this bayonet. Its a little information..but alot more than what he had ever known.

Thanks again
    Regards Larry

In English 'Dragoon', not 'Dragon'-a type of cavalry-the carbines were surplussed off by the Swedes in the 1950s as mounted troop units were disbanded/converted to mechanised troops and the coastal defence units (who the bayonets were really made for) were rearmed with more modern weapons. I've never heard of the Finns getting any of the m/94 carbines, only m/96 long infantry rifles which used a completely different bayo.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Identity of a bayonet