Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

Imperial Bayonet Converted to Dress Bayonet?

Article about: Hi all. Another one I picked up in Riga. My best guess is that this was converted from an 1898/05 "Butcher" bayonet based on the length of the quillon. I think the blade has been h

Default Imperial Bayonet Converted to Dress Bayonet?

Hi all. Another one I picked up in Riga. My best guess is that this was converted from an 1898/05 "Butcher" bayonet based on the length of the quillon. I think the blade has been heavily polished as opposed to plated to achieve a shine as someone has had a go at if with a grinder at some point and nothing is flaking off. The grips are a little rough and ready but fit quite well and appear to be made of a material similar to bakelite. There is a rough engraving on the quillon that looks like a triangle with horizontal lines through it. Any opinions on this one would be much appreciated. It did not cost much so no feelings will be hurt if it turns out to be rubbish Cheers.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Imperial Bayonet Converted to Dress Bayonet?   Imperial Bayonet Converted to Dress Bayonet?  

Imperial Bayonet Converted to Dress Bayonet?   Imperial Bayonet Converted to Dress Bayonet?  

Imperial Bayonet Converted to Dress Bayonet?  

I would tend to agree with your opinion on origin being the S98/05. But I don't think the intention was to make a parade bayonet but a fighting knife. But when the modification occurred is harder to determine. Could be immediately post WW1, or later.

Indeed, it could well be a conversion to a trench knife. The only thing that made me question that was that the blade is highly polished...... although that doesn't mean anything really. Thanks for the reply.

?

With this grips i would tend to a soviet era refurbishment by owner, most real farmer knife made from S98/05.b.r.Andy

Thanks for the replies.