Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Interesting 1944 Combat Bayonet numbers, scabbard and frog questions? Experts? ;-)

Article about: I'm fairly sure this is a matching bayonet and scabbard, but only the last three digits (441) of the scabbard numbers (1441) are on the blade. The aa present below the blade numbers is also

Default Interesting 1944 Combat Bayonet numbers, scabbard and frog questions? Experts? ;-)

I'm fairly sure this is a matching bayonet and scabbard, but only the last three digits (441) of the scabbard numbers (1441) are on the blade. The aa present below the blade numbers is also present below the scabbard numbers, under the frog. The blade is marked 44ASW on the other side. It is WaA519 at the end of the grip, for Alex Coppel?

The frog is marked (quite hard to make out exactly); C. POSL WEHRAUSRHSTURHEN 1940, maybe I'm not getting it quite right because Google searches turn up nothing.

The frog has had the straps neatly cut off (I mean very very neatly), and it is obvious by the patina on the sides of the scabbard that this was done ages ago, a common soldier mod?

I didn't get a picture but the bottom left edge of the scabbards look like a gas weld bead that wasn't smoothed down all the way, in fact the whole left side edge of the scabbard looks like it was welded, although much less noticeable, is this how they were in fact constructed?

Interesting 1944 Combat Bayonet numbers, scabbard and frog questions? Experts? ;-)

Thx in advance for answers and info on this ;-)

Default Re: Interesting 1944 Combat Bayonet numbers, scabbard and frog questions? Experts? ;-)

ASW was the code for E&F Horster.

The WaA519 stamp was not exclusive to Coppel. It appears on bayonets made by a number of manufacturers based in Solingen.

Is the scabbard also marked 44ASW ?

If so, then you could well have a matching pair with a very lightly struck "1" on the bayonet.

I think the frog maker is C. POSE WEHRAUSRUSTUNGEN [of Boxhagener Str. 16, Berlin]

They also made ammo pouches and other leather items for the Army - scroll down to near the bottom of the page to see other examples of their marking.

SMC - WWII German - K98 Pouch - Manufacturers ABC

Regards

Richie

Default Re: Interesting 1944 Combat Bayonet numbers, scabbard and frog questions? Experts? ;-)

nice set.

Thx, you guys are great ;-)

In fact, I think you're right, maybe not just a lightly struck 1, but ground off in finishing, as the first a of the aa is also nearly missing and there are rough grind marks there ;-)

Thx for the leathermaker info, I'll have to be sure to keep that in my files. I did a Google search on the name and see they also made some Polizei Tschakos.

Two Nazi 1936 Pattern Police Shako Helmets

I looked and yes, the scabbard is also stamped 44ASW, I hadn't thought to look at the backside of it... of course you can barely see that part, only by bending the frog back a little. The frog doesn't look like it wants to come off, or has in the last 60 some years ;-)

Thx much for the help on this, this is the first such bayonet I've owned in a long time, or maybe ever... I can't really remember at this point.