Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here

Interesting dagger from early XX century,decorative handle & massive blade

Article about: In my opinion it is a hybrid, the handle of the Italian Air Force sword (early twentieth century) ; crossguards typical for Hirschfänger typ ; massive blade from quality steel ; accompanying

Default Interesting dagger from early XX century,decorative handle & massive blade

In my opinion it is a hybrid, the handle of the Italian Air Force sword (early twentieth century) ; crossguards typical for Hirschfänger typ ; massive blade from quality steel ; accompanying scabbard is fully adjusted to fit the blade ; dagger length 38cm.
    I wonder if anyone has seen the same or similar dagger.
    Thx
    Interesting dagger from early XX century,decorative handle & massive bladeInteresting dagger from early XX century,decorative handle & massive bladeInteresting dagger from early XX century,decorative handle & massive blade

Hello Dean,
    My opinion, a modern item.
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

not a nice looking thing in fact its bloody ugly.

Agreed !

Poorly crafted piece throughout - especially the blade,
    which seems to be of more recent/modern design.
    A product from India or China, IMO.........
    Regards,

Steve.

Source: Book Pugnali e coltelli Italiani (Cesare Calamandrei 1990)

There is a lot of controversy about these types of daggers, in all its forms, in the Italian collector world.
    There are two movements. The first movement has the opinion that these daggers were manufactured in 1944 (especially in Naples) using old stocks of Regia Marina and Regia Aeronautica decorative swords and newly manufactured parts. The reason for this production was the huge demand for Fascist daggers by American soldiers, which at that time were stationed in that region.
    The second movement believes that these daggers are officially produced prior the Italian capitulation on the 8th of September 1943, but were never issued.
    Both movements however agree that these daggers have a unique place in Italian war time production.

As I wrote an introductory, I think it is a hybrid, the question is whether they are used in making genuine parts (handle, crossguards, scabbard). Nice or not, it does not matter.

A similar example in which seller (auction house) claims that is genuine Italian Fascist Youth leader dagger.
    Again the same thing, crossguards just do not go along with this type of knife. Scabbard in my opinion is not original, the handle can be discussed.
    Overall impression,knife from the second half of the twentieth century.

Quality is just not there, nor is the 'F. Horster' naming on the blade
    correct - another dud IMO. These are so poorly made that they
    should not hold much value or collector interest.

The heavy use of brass with no traces of gilding would lead
    me to believe these are indeed from India.........
    Regards,

Steve.