Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Japanese dress bayonet?

Article about: For your consideration I present this chromed Arisaka bayonet. The makers marks and accountability number look correct to me, so I think this is authentic. BUt I have never seen a chromed on

Default Japanese dress bayonet?

For your consideration I present this chromed Arisaka bayonet. The makers marks and accountability number look correct to me, so I think this is authentic. BUt I have never seen a chromed one before. The question I pose to anyone who likes to ponder such things is did the Japanese have parade or dress bayonets? I would have guessed 'no' but then I came across this piece. I have not been able to find anything in the literature I possess to confirm this.

Another theory is that perhaps a US serviceman chromed the bayonet as a war trophy?

Any thoughts gentleman?

Pal
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Japanese dress bayonet?   Japanese dress bayonet?  

Japanese dress bayonet?  

Default Re: Japanese dress bayonet?

That looks like a japanese Arisaka bayonet in very nice condition. But I could be wrong on the rifle type, i know its japanese though

?

My opinion is that it was done postwar as a trophy souvinier,I have a German combat bayonet done the same way....Pete.
    JEDEM DAS SEINE

?

Agree with Pete.
    Regards,
    John

What he wrote...

I believe that makes it a consensus. Post war chrome job it is.

Many years ago, I purchased a similar bayonet directly from a veteran. The piece had been stored poorly and rust had eaten through 90% of the chrome finish on the bayonet and about 25% of the scabbard. He related to me that he had gotten the piece from a pile of surrendered weapons from an elite guard unit who marched in to surrender in Korea all wearing identical bayonets. I had no reason to doubt the man and the deterioration was similar to that I have seen on period Japanese sword scabbards. Back in the 1960's, I bought several Japanese swords from a veteran. Among them was a standard shingunto officer sword with a chrome scabbard. It is my belief that these items were worn by an elite guard unit that guarded either government buildings or important shrines. I know for a fact that neither piece I owned was post war meddled with. I think this is another case of mistaking I have never seen this therefore it must be fake.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

?

An old thread on the subject.
    Chromuim/Nickel Plated Arisaka Bayonets - Wehrmacht-Awards.com Militaria Forums

Still a lot of speculation and no period pictures as of yet. In this digital age perhaps one will surface some day, but I wouldn't hold my breath till it does. But stranger things have happened.
    Regards,
    John

Thanks for all your commentary. A very interesting discussion.

I bought the bayonet thinking it was likely altered post war. In fact that's what the seller suggested and he knocked a few bucks off because of that. But thanks to Bob I now have doubt....and the bayonet has become that much cooler.

Maybe the truth lies in-between, as with most questions in life. I don't doubt that some were likely chromed post war as trophies but it sounds plausible that some might have been issued too.

The screws that hold the grips on to the bayo show evidence of having been removed-note they are not aligned-British parade P07s are issued blunt as there is no need for them to be sharpened and it can only cause problems if they are sharp.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast