MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here

Knife made from a Ross Bayonet

Article about: Hi. Just picked up this knife made from a Ross Bayonet. The markings aren't what I have usually seen. On the one side of the pommel it Ross Rifle CO. Quebec Pat. 1907 a broad arrow mark with

Default Knife made from a Ross Bayonet

Hi. Just picked up this knife made from a Ross Bayonet. The markings aren't what I have usually seen. On the one side of the pommel it Ross Rifle CO. Quebec Pat. 1907 a broad arrow mark without the C around it and a crown over 8. The spine has 2 marks, both a crown over 7. Any info on the markings is appreciated. Thanks.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Knife made from a Ross Bayonet   Knife made from a Ross Bayonet  

?

This bayonet appears to be a Mark I Ross (marked as Pattern '08) which fits the M1905 Ross Rifle.
    The small broad arrow above the maker's name is consistent with its being one of 2000 Trials Bayonets manufactured between January and April 1909 for the Canadian (NOT British as some have claimed) government. All bayonets made for Canadian service after that date were marked on the button side with the broad arrow inside the letter C. To confirm my identification, look closely at the edge of the pommel nearest to the grips. If you can discern two pins securing the pommel to the bayonet tang, you have a Trials Bayonet. All subsequent bayonets had their pommels attached by brazing rather than pins, as this was found to be much stronger. I have a hunting knife made from a Trials Bayonet, and the pins on my knife have sheared. Unfortunately the crossguard on your bayonet has been removed. It would have been marked with '08 and below that D broad arrow C (for Dominion of Canada). Only the Trials Bayonets carry these markings in this position. Reference: The Ross Rifle Story by Phillips, Chadwick and Dupuis.

Thank you for the information. I checked and can't see pins near the handle. The guard was originally brazed on as there is a brazing mark left on the spine.

?

Trolled thru my photos. First up is the pommel of a Ross Mark I Trials Bayonet dated January 1909.
    Then the crossguard of the corresponding bayonet. The D^C signifies Dominion of Canada.
    Next we come to April 1909, where the date has moved to the button side of the pommel. Here are two photos from a Ross Mark I Trials Bayonet dated April 1909.
    Knife made from a Ross BayonetKnife made from a Ross Bayonet
    Now when we move to May 1909, the broad arrow has come over to the button side of the pommel. This means I wasn't correct about the change date for the broad arrow to become the C broad arrow.
    The broad arrow is still there in June 1909
    By August 1909 the broad arrow has morphed into the C broad arrow that appears on subsequent Ross bayonets accepted for Canadian service.Knife made from a Ross Bayonet

And just for fun, here are the markings that identify a British Contract Ross bayonet.
    As far as I know, these are only found on Mark II bayonets made to accompany the British Ross Mark IIIB Rifle. The broad arrow is a "squiggly" version, and hard to make out sometimes.
    Knife made from a Ross BayonetKnife made from a Ross Bayonet
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Knife made from a Ross Bayonet