Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Knuckle Knife

Article about: I picked this knuckle knife up a couple of weeks ago not sure if its the real thing or just a fantasy piece. Annoyed from this ads?   The handle is marked with a name-serial number-date

Default Knuckle Knife

I picked this knuckle knife up a couple of weeks ago not sure if its the real thing or just a fantasy piece.
    The handle is marked with a name-serial number-date and 2nd SAS (don't laugh to loud) the scabbard is also marked with the same name.

Name. L Noakes
    Serial number. 7260959

Knife date 1944.

z4.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Knuckle Knife   Knuckle Knife  

Knuckle Knife   Knuckle Knife  

Knuckle Knife  

?

Not one I've seen before, but there were alot of crude made "commando" knives made at this time, many of them almost homemade in appearance. This one looks like it used an English No.5 MkI blade. I would try and find out if the unit and the Man actually existed. If the mans name and number show up for that unit in that time frame, I would say you have a winner.

Jim

Like Jim said it's made from a British bayonet blade of that era!..

I did look online for his name but could not find anything.

?

You might send thorne83 a pm, he might be able to help. He gave me a ton of info on some WWI victory medals I had named to British soldiers.

Jim

One thing possibly worth a mention is that in 1944 I'd imagine the No.5 bayonet would still be pretty scarce in numbers that had been issued, if any at all were actually issued in 1944? I know the Lee Enfield No.5 MK1 Rifle went into production then but once again, how many of them and their bayonets actually went to the troops in '44? Seems unlikely that someone would be hacking a No.5 bayo to bits in 1944 (if that is indeed the date the knife is made) as it would of been a brand new bit of kit then??
    Wonder if it is more likely to of been made post war once there was one of two more of these types of blade floating around?

?

You do bring up a valid point. The no.5 was being produced late in 43, but wasn't approved until late 44. It would have been a brand new issue bayonet in 44, so it is theoretically possible, but is it likely? I think it all rests with the name and number stamped into the handle.

Jim

Blade looks very much like that from the L1a1 Self loading rifle.

Quote by robin morley View Post
    Blade looks very much like that from the L1a1 Self loading rifle.
    Could very well be one? The blades from the No.5, No.7, No.9 and the British versions of the L1 series of bayonets for the L1A1 were all but identical give or take a few slight variations.
    Since the blade isn't marked I'm wondering if it's from a No.9 blade since these didn't have much if any markings on the blade (a small broad arrow on Enfield made ones, nothing on Poole ones?), all the info was on the socket. I think all the other types, No.5, No.7 and the UK L1 series all had some sort of marks (makers, dates etc) on the blade?

So, just for laughs and a pure guess I'd say it was made from a Poole made No.9 bayonet from 1948 or 1949!

That said, looking at the pics again I guess any markings would be covered anyhow so discount my previous theory!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast