Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Krag bayonet and French Gras bayonet

Article about: A couple of pictures of my Schmidt and Gras bayonets. I bought the Schmidt a while ago when I started to collect. The scabbard retains most of it's paint. The Gras's retains almost all of th

Default Krag bayonet and French Gras bayonet

A couple of pictures of my Schmidt and Gras bayonets. I bought the Schmidt a while ago when I started to collect. The scabbard retains most of it's paint. The Gras's retains almost all of the scabbards paint. Picked up the Schmidt for 20 dollars. 100 for the Gras.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Krag bayonet and French Gras bayonet   Krag bayonet and French Gras bayonet  

Krag bayonet and French Gras bayonet   Krag bayonet and French Gras bayonet  

Last edited by Blitzkrieg Bop; 07-29-2010 at 06:24 PM.

?

Default Re: Krag bayonet and French Gras bayonet

The french Gras is correct, the other bayonet is probably swiss Schmidt-Rubin M1889, see the Waffenfabrik Neuhausen marking. best regards,Andy

And both scabbards are repainted, they should be blued.

Jean

Whoops, sorry. The owner thought the one was a Krag. Oh well. I believe my gras was in WW2 and was repainted. The bayonet belonged to a French veteran.

Hello-unlikely that the Gras was used in WW2-Gras M1874 rifle was a single shot 11mm black powder weapon-was obsolete by WW1 but did see some reserve use due to war emergency, some rechambered for 8mm Lebel round, but no longer in use by 1939.

Quote by lithgow View Post
    Hello-unlikely that the Gras was used in WW2-Gras M1874 rifle was a single shot 11mm black powder weapon-was obsolete by WW1 but did see some reserve use due to war emergency, some rechambered for 8mm Lebel round, but no longer in use by 1939.
    Lithgow is correct this was not use during ww2 and did see use during ww1.They are very nice and look great in a collection.

Thanks you guys. The man might have used it for combat practice, as older stuff was common. Whatever the case, my gras looks good in my display case.

Yes indeed they are great bayos, one of my favorites and much better than the Lebel/Berthier 'knitting needle' spikes that replaced them as French service bayos.

^ My parents actually bought me that for my birthday and a WW2 woodsman pal machete. I have not recieved them yet though...

Anybody ever seen one of these Gras Bayonets with all the french markings and "Deutchland" [sp] stamped on the brass near the lug button?

Bob

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast