Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here

Kukri Rescue

Article about: Hi all. Just wanted to show this kukri that my Dad gave me. It was in a box of tools he won at auction. I have cleaned it up as believe it or not it looked worse than this I think it is a MK

Default Kukri Rescue

Hi all. Just wanted to show this kukri that my Dad gave me. It was in a box of tools he won at auction. I have cleaned it up as believe it or not it looked worse than this I think it is a MK III, or certainly that style, although I have not found any markings so it may not be military. Either way, its a very impressive knife .
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Kukri Rescue   Kukri Rescue  

Kukri Rescue   Kukri Rescue  

Guaranteed to scare the hell out of whoever the Gurkhas are fighting!...

Gotta love the Ghurka's! Their motto was "It is better to die than live a coward!" I could be wrong, but I always thought that pretty much all kukri's were military(excepting, of course, the modern tourist pieces). I know that I've looked long and hard to see if the famous 1915 Ghurka sentry vs the Battleship in the Suez Canal incident was real or a legend, but as far as I've ever been able to find out, it actually Did happen!

Is this knife missing a pommel cap? If so, it may have held the markings of the regiment? Just a guess. Definitely a very cool thing to find in a junk box, in any case!
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

I always thought the military issue examples are marked on the blade. It certainly does not look like your typical tourist versions.

The Welsh Regiment motto that used to be where moderator is now under my avatar translates as "better death than dishonour".
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

I have a few Kuks now, including a couple of modern British Army issue ones and some probably from the 40s and all I can say is that this is by far the chunkiest and largest of the lot. Oh and yes Wagriff it is missing the pommel cap. Cheers.

Here is an example of an early issued piece.
    Not it is dated 1914 and the blade has the India acceptance stamp.
    Attached Images Attached Images Kukri Rescue  Kukri Rescue 
    gregM
    Live to ride -- Ride to live

I was addicted to the "Hokey-Pokey" but I've turned
    myself around.