MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

M1855 bayonet. Stamp "N.C."?

Article about: Hello! What does the stamp "N.C."? Thanks for the help.

?

Default M1855 bayonet. Stamp "N.C."?

Hello!
    What does the stamp "N.C."?
    Thanks for the help.

That looks like the bayonet for the British Lancaster carbine of 1855. I would be interested to know the length of the blade as some of these bayonets had a short blade.The Lancaster carbine and bayonet were issued to the Royal Engineers for use by sappers and miners. The RE's served in New Zealand during the Maori Wars or Land Wars as they are now called. They left NZ in 1870 being replaced by locally raised militia and around 1880's Armed Constabulary. The Lancaster carbine was introduced to New Zealand with the RE in 1858 and remained in service up through the 1880's and the later part of the Land Wars.
    Which brings me to your question what does "N.C." stand for? There may be other possibilities, but I believe it could mean "Native Contingent". The Native Contingent were Maori warriors recruited by the British and settlers to fight against the rebel Maori tribes. They fought along side Imperial troops and later the Armed Constabulary and it is likely they were issued with the Lancaster carbine as by the late 1860's it was out of favour, something of a castoff. If it is a Native Contingent bayonet, it is fairly rare. The Native Contingent were fearless fighters and important troops for the Colonial side. Now regarded as turncoats and traitors but some Maori.

?

Thanks for the reply.
    Here are the sizes of the bayonets:

Overall length: 741 мм
    Blade length: 612 мм
    Width of blade: 30 мм
    The inner diameter of the ring: 20 мм

?

Other photos.

I would hazard a guess the N. C. stands for Natal Carbineers. I have seen other bayonets to this unit marked as such, although I don't know if they used the Lancaster carbine or not. Cheers.

?

This is a good version. And met before such a stigma?

Dmir, which story has more romance?

Here's an account of the Taranaki skirmishes in January 1866.

" A small advance-guard (Lieutenant W. E. Gudgeon, Ensign W. McDonnell, and Winiata Pakoro, of the Wanganui Contingent) were heavily fired on close up to the pa, which was defended by a breastwork of heavy timbers, and took cover in a small hollow until Lieutenant Keogh's company of the 14th, with the Maori Contingent, came charging up to the position. The pa was stormed at the point of the bayonet, and three Maoris were killed; three more were killed by the Contingent and the Forest Rangers in the pursuit of the retreating enemy through the bush. The British loss was one killed and six wounded."

The Native Contingent was never more than 300 strong. After the cession of hostilities the NC troops refused to return their issued weapons, including I would expect bayonets. They said they would be defenceless against attack from rival tribes if they did. They Colonial Government consented and they kept the weapons which no doubt later were used for hunting and calving up sheep carcases and slowly rusting in farm sheds.

?

Anderson, thanks for the info.
    This is interesting.
    Arms and nature is the best romance.
    But I have not seen the stigma of the "N. C." previously. No similar example.

Dmir, that bayonet is post 1858. we know that as it has the long left spring catch on the hilt that is attached by screw. Pre-1858 it was a short length leaf spring riveted to the handle. The other thing is we know it is Military issue not commercial. That is confirmed by the acceptance stamps (commercial bayonets had none, only a serial number) and also the shape of the hilt and the fact it is brass not steel with nickel plating. That is significant as in 1859 the British government approved the sale of Lancaster carbines and bayonets to the various "volunteer" militias being formed to replace the Imperial Troops being withdrawn from the colonies. However in New Zealand a lot of military equiptment was sold directly to the Colonial government, particulary obsolete equiptment, rather than ship it back to Britain as there was an urgent need with an ongoing war. For that reason it makes sense the Native Contingent would get Lancaster carbines and bayonets in the late 1860's. I have a copy of photo of a British 40th Regiment of Foot trooper dated mid 1860's with a Lancaster carbine and bayonet attached. The 40th left New Zealand in 1868. Another photo I have seen shows the Native Contingent in 1870 with Lancaster carbines and bayonet attached. But, we need to find another bayonet like your one in New Zealand to be really confident, I'm working on that angle.

?

Anderson, thanks for the new information.
    This information is new to me.
    Can I see a picture of 40 regiment?
    It will be very interesting.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast