Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

M3 Knife W/possibly the worst pictures ever

Article about: Well in the midst of all the madness that has played itself out for me lately I somehow came up with a pretty darn nice Imperial M3 Knife. The guard is a little loose but everything else see

Default M3 Knife W/possibly the worst pictures ever

Well in the midst of all the madness that has played itself out for me lately I somehow came up with a pretty darn nice Imperial M3 Knife. The guard is a little loose but everything else seems to be
    A-OKAY, I have a Mark 2 but the M3's are just so darn cool looking I'm happy to have this one. Sorry about the pictures, I really tried but trying doesn't help much when you don't know what the heck you are doing. Believe it or not "these" are the good pictures.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture M3 Knife W/possibly the worst pictures ever   M3 Knife W/possibly the worst pictures ever  

M3 Knife W/possibly the worst pictures ever   M3 Knife W/possibly the worst pictures ever  

M3 Knife W/possibly the worst pictures ever  

Default Re: M3 Knife W/possibly the worst pictures ever

50+ views and nobody has insulted my photography skills? Is anybody out there?

Mike

?

Pics don't suck, nor does that nice blade.

Congrats. I like the early ones with blade stampings.

Quote by drdata View Post
    Pics don't suck, nor does that nice blade.

Congrats. I like the early ones with blade stampings.
    Thanks DrData, I appreciate your response. I may be a little extra sensitive lately but for awhile there with no responses I thought everybody was mad at me. I have a little trouble finding info on these fighting knives, I guess this one is 43 or later, it doesn't have a date stamped on the blade and it appears to have been origionally blued, I "think" it's a fairly early 2nd model. (but I could be wrong)

Thanks
    Mike

?

Hi Mike nice M3. Gary

?

I'm interested in knowing the last date of manufacture for the M3. I read they were still being issued in Vietnam, from old stock.

Mine is stamped on the cross guard, so gen 3, and would like to know the latest possible manufacture date,. its an imperial, btw.

This knife has grown on me. I started with a K98 bayo, and at first the m3 seems so small. Size matters in a knife fight, I reckon, but there something about the m3 that is, well, just nice.

Quote by drdata View Post
    I'm interested in knowing the last date of manufacture for the M3. I read they were still being issued in Vietnam, from old stock.

Mine is stamped on the cross guard, so gen 3, and would like to know the latest possible manufacture date,. its an imperial, btw.

This knife has grown on me. I started with a K98 bayo, and at first the m3 seems so small. Size matters in a knife fight, I reckon, but there something about the m3 that is, well, just nice.

Nice knife Pompa Mike !

M3 ('Model 1943') knives were made during 1943 and possibly a few
    weeks or months into 1944. Production then switched to the 'M4'
    bayonet and the gorgeous M3's became 'Limited Standard'.
    There were indeed old stocks of the M3 left to be issued during the
    Vietnam War. I think there were about 3 million made !

The first M3's were made with the date on the blade, but the date was
    removed after a couple of months, as it was redundant to have the
    date stamped on twice. ( Not sure when the last guard marked
    ones were made. )I'll have to look up this information.........

Because the M3 and M4 were used for a lot of other purposes besides
    a bayonet, there was a cartoon drawn by Bill Mauldin
    during the war showing a Private soldier performing KP holding a
    M4 bayonet, who exclaims;

"Well, I'll be Durned..........This can opener fits on the end of a rifle !"

Regards, Steve.
    Last edited by Walkwolf; 04-19-2010 at 10:06 PM.

?

thanks for the added info. I understand that blade stamp was more expensive, and that the date was redundant as m3 stood for 1943. That would hold true if the production was limited to '43 only.

regards

The thing I read about these is that the earlier ones were blued and later parkerized. I don't know if this is correct but it seems reasonable as many early items were blued and later parkerized to save production time. This knife is a fair bit smaller than my Mark 2 but it is really a nice package.

Mike

Nice blade : ), have you done any to protect the handle?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast