Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Marbles Knife. Combat? Hunting? RUINED?

Article about: I found this knife in the garbage the other day. It certainly looks WW2 vintage, but is it a combat knife, or merely a hunting knife? Either way, this knife has rusting, and a broken tip. Is

Default Marbles Knife. Combat? Hunting? RUINED?

I found this knife in the garbage the other day. It certainly looks WW2 vintage, but is it a combat knife, or merely a hunting knife?

Either way, this knife has rusting, and a broken tip. Is it ruined, or can the knife be salvaged?

THANKS FOR TAKING A LOOK!

Default Re: Marbles Knife. Combat? Hunting? RUINED?

Looks like an IDEAL Hunting Knife. Marble's was a very popular brand during the turn of the century and later on. The knife itself isn't anything rare. I'd clean it and the sheath up, sharpen it, and use it.

Thanks for the quick response! What do you mean by "IDEAL"? aka perfect for hunting?

Think the blade can be fixed up, or is it ruined with the rust and busted tip?

Sorry, edited my original post. Marble's called it the Ideal. Just a name. It was a great hunting knife. The tip is fine. You can regrind it with a file, and then sharpen it. The rust is not an issue.

?

Hunting knife. Has good skinning capabilities with that bevel. I guess it could be saved, but i will change the blade geometry, so to speak.

Thanks for the responses, guys! My brother-in-law is an avid hunter. He'll appreciate this for sure!

Any idea where I can get this blade cleaned up? I know I don't have the necessary tools at my disposal...

Marble Arms were very fine hunting knives-they are made not all that far away from where I live now. They may well have been a private purchase knife and used by a GI-as many many did, but in all likelihood, it is simply a hunting knife. Yours has had the tip broken off of it-probably from being thrown by idiot kids in the past. It's blade will need to be reground to fix this, and they can deep polish it to remove most of the rust pitting at the same time, but it is still quite worthy of being restored. They are quite sought after by collectors. I Believe that Teddy Roosevelt favored Marble Arms knives.... William
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Quote by GIZMO8Z View Post
    Thanks for the responses, guys! My brother-in-law is an avid hunter. He'll appreciate this for sure!

Any idea where I can get this blade cleaned up? I know I don't have the necessary tools at my disposal...
    A good rust remover will do. If you go down to a local Hardware or Big Box, they'll have some. Like I said, a good file will help you re-grind the blade. It isn't anything too hard. If you have a whet stone or a sharpening kit, use that afterwards. Do NOT use the pull thru sharpeners. They are junk, and eat away too much steel. Don't use grinding wheels either. Always sharpen by hand, as my Father says.

Quote by Blitzkrieg Bop View Post
    A good rust remover will do. If you go down to a local Hardware or Big Box, they'll have some. Like I said, a good file will help you re-grind the blade. It isn't anything too hard. If you have a whet stone or a sharpening kit, use that afterwards. Do NOT use the pull thru sharpeners. They are junk, and eat away too much steel. Don't use grinding wheels either. Always sharpen by hand, as my Father says.
    Oh god... you have far too much faith in me! I think the best bet would be to find a professional to do this for me...

Any decent knife shop should be able to resurrect this nice old Marbles. Definitely worth checking into. William
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast