Become our sponsor and display your banner here

Martini Henry socket bayonet

Article about: I chanced upon this rather nice Martini Henry bayonet the other week at the Liverpool arms fair. The bayonet appears to be dated 1873, and I am told that the 'R' stands for refurbished. Alth

Default Martini Henry socket bayonet

I chanced upon this rather nice Martini Henry bayonet the other week at the Liverpool arms fair. The bayonet appears to be dated 1873, and I am told that the 'R' stands for refurbished. Althougfh it has Nepalese markings on it, both bayonet and scabbard are in lovely condition.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF4483.jpg 
Views:	1089 
Size:	300.2 KB 
ID:	456182Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF4484.jpg 
Views:	979 
Size:	288.0 KB 
ID:	456183Click image for larger version. 

Name:	New_1_DSCF4485.JPG 
Views:	280 
Size:	185.0 KB 
ID:	456184
    Author of... 'Belfast Diaries: A Gunner In Northern Ireland'... 'A Tough Nut To Crack: Andersonstown.. Voices From 9 Battery Royal Artillery In Northern Ireland'... 'An Accrington Pal: The Diaries of Pte Jack Smallshaw, September 1914 To March 1919'.

Default Re: Martini Henry socket bayonet

Very nice. I saw one of these yesterday without the scabbard in a local antiques center, with an Indian mark according to the label. I was tempted by it but I have no idea what they go for.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Nice bayonet, I have one without the scabbard in a not as good condition but still a good piece. All we need now is a martini Henry and we are sorted!

Quote by Ben1596 View Post
    Nice bayonet, I have one without the scabbard in a not as good condition but still a good piece. All we need now is a martini Henry and we are sorted!
    All good things come to those who wait!
    Author of... 'Belfast Diaries: A Gunner In Northern Ireland'... 'A Tough Nut To Crack: Andersonstown.. Voices From 9 Battery Royal Artillery In Northern Ireland'... 'An Accrington Pal: The Diaries of Pte Jack Smallshaw, September 1914 To March 1919'.

You have a very historic bayonet! There were basically two socket bayonets that fitted the Martini Henry Rifle. The first, which yours appears to be, was actually the Pattern 1853 with a 43 cm blade originally issued with the Enfield muzzle-loader rifle. This bayonet was later bushed to fit the Martini Henry. That would account for your 73 date. Later a Model 1876 Martini Henry socket bayonet with a 55 cm blade was newly made for the Martini Henry.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P.53 & P.76 Martini Henry Bayonets.jpg 
Views:	7580 
Size:	205.8 KB 
ID:	504246

?

Hi, the E73 is not the year of manufacture, it is the Enfield inspectors identification number. Sadly I believe there are no records of which stamp belonged to who. I am sure they did not start to stamp the year of manufacture on these bayonets until the 1880s. Hope this helps
    Oldlad.