Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

Martini Henry socket bayonet

Article about: I chanced upon this rather nice Martini Henry bayonet the other week at the Liverpool arms fair. The bayonet appears to be dated 1873, and I am told that the 'R' stands for refurbished. Alth

Default Martini Henry socket bayonet

I chanced upon this rather nice Martini Henry bayonet the other week at the Liverpool arms fair. The bayonet appears to be dated 1873, and I am told that the 'R' stands for refurbished. Althougfh it has Nepalese markings on it, both bayonet and scabbard are in lovely condition.
    Martini Henry socket bayonetMartini Henry socket bayonetMartini Henry socket bayonet

Default Re: Martini Henry socket bayonet

Very nice. I saw one of these yesterday without the scabbard in a local antiques center, with an Indian mark according to the label. I was tempted by it but I have no idea what they go for.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Nice bayonet, I have one without the scabbard in a not as good condition but still a good piece. All we need now is a martini Henry and we are sorted!

Quote by Ben1596 View Post
    Nice bayonet, I have one without the scabbard in a not as good condition but still a good piece. All we need now is a martini Henry and we are sorted!
    All good things come to those who wait!

You have a very historic bayonet! There were basically two socket bayonets that fitted the Martini Henry Rifle. The first, which yours appears to be, was actually the Pattern 1853 with a 43 cm blade originally issued with the Enfield muzzle-loader rifle. This bayonet was later bushed to fit the Martini Henry. That would account for your 73 date. Later a Model 1876 Martini Henry socket bayonet with a 55 cm blade was newly made for the Martini Henry.

Martini Henry socket bayonet

Oldlad
    ?

Hi, the E73 is not the year of manufacture, it is the Enfield inspectors identification number. Sadly I believe there are no records of which stamp belonged to who. I am sure they did not start to stamp the year of manufacture on these bayonets until the 1880s. Hope this helps
    Oldlad.