Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Mauser M1898/05 Sawback butcher bayonet indentification and info needed please.

Article about: Hello friends! i'm new here and got some questions, that if one could help me with - i'll be grateful! finally, after a long time of searching, iv'e got a 98/05 sawback for my collection. mo

Default Mauser M1898/05 Sawback butcher bayonet indentification and info needed please.

Hello friends!
    i'm new here and got some questions, that if one could help me with - i'll be grateful!
    finally, after a long time of searching, iv'e got a 98/05 sawback for my collection.
    mostly im an AK guy (so have about 25 different patterns of AK bayonets, which is almost half of my bayonets collection) and my knowledge about german equipment, especially from that era (WWI) is missing.
    honestly, the one i've got is one of the BEST conditioned examples i've ever seen for sale out there - i would tag it as VG to nearly mint (as much as a 1916 item can be).
    im interested in any detail one may know about this particular model / maker combination - and any info that would be relevant to my piece. if you have anything to say and tell about it, even if its obvious for you - don't hasitate i probably do not know that. again, im a completely-modern firearms / bayonets guy, and do not have too much with the WWI era (over than obsession for those sawback bayonet variations out there! ).
    i have a very big set of highly detaild pictures labum attached here (down) as a ling (just press it and you'll get the pic album) - i guess that covers any stamp that could assist and may be needed to answer any question / provide info for identification and so on. also, posted a single pure image here just like that. again, you can see all of the rest (21 of them) in the link below.
    i have everything in much higer resolution, if there's any need for that.

M1898/05 Sawback Bayonet Complete Picture Album

Those are the details i know already:
    Model: 98/05, sawback butcher bayonet (is the right term - M1898/05 n.A. S ?)
    Production year: 1916.
    Manufacturer: Deutsche Maschinenfabrik A.-G. Duisburg. German Empire.
    Crown stamp: Royal Cypher of Kaiser (Emperor) Wilhelm II of Prussia - "Kaiser Wilhelm" (1888–1918). (?)
    any more info is welcome!

PS - how much would you estimate this example? ive got it for £200 (plus shipping). as for my knowledge, a good-fair conditioned ones may go nowdays up to £250. my set contains the scabbard, bayonet and frog, which is slightly damaged.
    over than that, its a museum-grade item (at least, that how it was looked like to me... would be happy to hear opinions of the ones who really know about that).

any way / idea how to fix the little torn in the frog's leather without decreasing it's value?
    would be nice also, since im planning to put it on my wall with the knife out of the scabbard, to hear how would you suggest me to oil it to prevent rust while in display.

thanks in advance!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Mauser M1898/05 Sawback butcher bayonet indentification and info needed please.   Mauser M1898/05 Sawback butcher bayonet indentification and info needed please.  

Mauser M1898/05 Sawback butcher bayonet indentification and info needed please.   Mauser M1898/05 Sawback butcher bayonet indentification and info needed please.  

Mauser M1898/05 Sawback butcher bayonet indentification and info needed please.   Mauser M1898/05 Sawback butcher bayonet indentification and info needed please.  

Sorry as i've uploaded all of the pics as attachments by mistake and can not find the edit / delete button
    if one knows how to remove the attachments so the thread will left pure with the only 1 picture and album link that would be perfect. im pretty new to this platform...
    thanks!

Quote by Davidavid6 View Post
    mostly im an AK guy (so have about 25 different patterns of AK bayonets, which is almost half of my bayonets collection) ..
    Maybe you´ll be so kind to add some of them there ?

Ak47 bayonets

Thx. in advance,
    R.

Quote by Reibert View Post
    Maybe you´ll be so kind to add some of them there ?

Ak47 bayonets

Thx. in advance,
    R.
    sure, why not. i will happily post pictures of my units along with details. will link here after i will post them there
    but.. anyone here can help me please with the original post?

?

I think you paid a descent price for its condition. I wouldn't exactly call it Museum quality. It has no regimental marking ,so you can not give it any regimental ties to battles it might have been in.
    As far as the leather on the frog, yes this could have an impact on price. But this tearing happens when people try to take the frog off. I refuse to remove my frogs for that exact reason.
    To repair. It could be done but once again it will effect the price. The damage has been done and there is no repair process to fix torn 100 year old leather, It would just cover it up and would never be pliable.

Semper Fi
    Phil