Become our sponsor and display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

A Mexican Bayonet with an extraordinary history.

Article about: Greetings all, I normally don’t possess much interest in collecting items earlier than WWI, but there are time’s I will make an exception as in this bayo’s case. This Mexican Model Knife Bay

Default Lightning strikes two more times!!!

Greetings all,

Well, I thought I was pretty much mission complete with ever seeing anymore souvenirs from DSC Awardee 1LT Castleman and the 1916 Columbus, NM Villistas’ raid. Then I recently found these two items being offered from a completely different source than the bayonet had been. The flag and ammo belt were (ostensibly) gathered as their contemporary tags say from dead Vallistas in the vicinity of the Commercial Hotel. This was one of the businesses that was burned down by the raiders and provided the illumination for their subsequent demise (note the red circle on the map and the before/after photos of the hotel). I do not believe the bayonet (posted earlier) came off of this belt as it would be awkward as hell to wear it in the one area it could be worn (of course, if the belt was not worn with the buckle centered over the groin… it might just work). Meh.

It would appear 1LT Castleman was a more prolific souvenir hunter than I had once given him credit for. Now I have to wonder how much more of his "collection" is still out there. That said, I doubt there’s too much more. Frankly, I’m just happy to have reunited these items. I probably need to now go out and buy a lottery ticket too. Thank you, for checking out this thread's update.

Regards,

Lance

Double click on the pictures to enlarge.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	330.0 KB 
ID:	696016Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	326.1 KB 
ID:	696017
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	347.9 KB 
ID:	696018

Lance,

This is a very impressive grouping of items. We are currently redoing our Columbus, New Mexico exhibit at the US Army NCO Museum at Fort Bliss, Texas, about 2 hours from Columbus, New Mexico. We recently obtained a Benet Mercie machine Gun, and an ammo crate for the gun, so we will be remodeling what we have. The students at the US Army Sergeant's Major Academy take a staff ride to Columbus every semester. Dr. Bouilly was a co-worker and Command Historian that I worked with. He recently retired but all of the Columbus archives he collected over the years are still in the historians office at the Sergeant's Major Academy.

Smitty

Greetings Smitty,

Thank you, for your compliments. Please too, feel free to share some of the museum's shots here, when you folks are mission complete with your exhibit's update/redesign.

V/r Lance

Very cool bayonet! I have a connection to the place of manufacture, and recently a P14/P17 Enfield bayonet was found where it fell long ago before it was shipped and laid forgotten. It was marked as part of an English order. Excellent acquisition!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12