Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here

Mexican or Spanish swords?

Article about: Anyone know anything about these knives? when and where they come from?

?

Default Mexican or Spanish swords?

Anyone know anything about these knives? when and where they come from?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Mexican or Spanish swords?   Mexican or Spanish swords?  

Mexican or Spanish swords?   Mexican or Spanish swords?  

?

Default Re: Mexican or Spanish swords?

They are both close to the same size, 30 1/4 inches long. first pic is wood grip and brass pommel and crossguard.
    second set of pics is aluminum inlaid wrap and leather, all alum pommel and crossguard. I have see a few of these around and know they are not mantle pieces. Any info is appreciated. Thanks for helping and looking.

Brent
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Mexican or Spanish swords?   Mexican or Spanish swords?  

Ender
    ?

Hi Brent,

both Mexicans, can't say much more about the origins but the shape, materials and the work is Mexican indeed.

In the 2nd one u can read "CUANDO EL TECOLOTE CANTA... EL INDIO MUERE" ... "When the owl hoots the indian dies", an old mexican saying.

HTH, Regards.

zhaan35
    ?

Hi Brent. I was searching the internet for the origin of a sword that I have and it looks extremely similar to the second one that you posted pictures of. Very similar handle, similar designed engraved. Mine has the words "Michoacan" in one area and "Corazon Gagabundo". Have you been able to find out anything more about yours ?

Hopefully, I am wrong, but I think these are repro junk. I have the same sword handle on the second picture, and I bought it for five dollars at a Mall Knife Store. *Picture shown is mine*
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Mexican or Spanish swords?  

zhaan35
    ?

Here is the picture of my sword. I've had it for well over 20 years.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Mexican or Spanish swords?  

curious
    ?

I have a sword that is similar to yours that was my grandfathers. It has been our family for many years. It has 2 Spanish sayings on it and was wondering if anyone could tell me what they translate too. On one side it says "No me importa morir pero luchando." and the other side says " No me olvides nunca soy mexicano". It also says oaxdca on one side and Mexico on the other. I believe the handle is aluminum but not positive.

UdenJensen
    ?

"No me importa morir pero luchando" translates loosely to "I do not mind dying but fighting" I would expect is a mexican proverb for "going down fighting"
    "No me olvides nunca soy mexicano" is basically 'don't forget I'm Mexican.' Oaxaca is a state in southern mexico. Can't speak for all of them, but they appear to be a relatively popular style. I have one myself. If you happen to know a specific origin on some, I'd love to know.

I believe these are tourist trade items..........
    Regards,

Steve.

I agree, the shape, material , manufacturing technique are presenting a low quality, they are maximum 50 years old tourist items.