Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here

Mosin-nagant bayonet?

Article about: I picked this up hoping it would fit my Finn mosin but it didn't. I was told it for a mosin. is it? Thanks. -Dean.

?

Default Mosin-nagant bayonet?

I picked this up hoping it would fit my Finn mosin but it didn't. I was told it for a mosin. is it? Thanks.
    -Dean.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Mosin-nagant bayonet?   Mosin-nagant bayonet?  

Mosin-nagant bayonet?   Mosin-nagant bayonet?  

Default Re: Mosin-nagant bayonet?

Yes, for the Soviet M91/30 Mosin rifle.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Dean-What type of Finnish rifle is it that you have? The Finns used both the socket bayo as used by the Soviets on their basically similar Mosins and knife types on their major redesigns of the basic Mosin Nagant. See below Finnish m39 (upper rifle in 1st pic) and m91 rifles and knife bayo that fits the m39 (though not the official type for that rifle).

PS the socket bayo is usually matched to the individual rifle so a bayo may not fit on another rifle of the same type.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Mosin-nagant bayonet?   Mosin-nagant bayonet?  

Mosin-nagant bayonet?   Mosin-nagant bayonet?  

If your M91/30 has the same front sight as non-Finn captured examples, that is the proper type of bayonet. However, as stated above, the Finns rearsenaled a lot of their Soviet-captured arms and swapped out parts that didn't work well with their existing gear/ parts they thought were inferior.
    Mosin-nagant bayonet?

If you have a soviet style front sight on your rifle, know that these things were supposed to be kept attached to the rifle at all times. As such, they can be difficult to attach/ remove (the tear-drop shaped multi-tool also serves as a wrench for easier attachment/ removal of the bayonet). Beyond that, these rifles AND bayonets have a wide range of tolerances, especially for the examples made in 1941/ 1942 when Germans were advancing deep into Russia and Soviet arms factories were concentrating more on churning out as many firarms as possible, NOT on making them look well finished.

Your best bet is to find a gunshop that has bulk crates of M91/30s for sale. They normally take all the loose bayonets (and ammo pouches/ slings/ cleaning kit tools) from the crate put and them in a box or bucket for people to choose from at random. Bring your rifle and take the time to go through all the bayonets available to find the perfect fit! In fact, my buddy got a 1941 Izhevsk M91/30 for Christmas. Just like you, the bayonet doesn't fit! We are heading to the gun shop sometime tomorrow to get him a replacement bayonet.

?

Thanks for the info! Sorry for the late reply, but here is my Finn Mosin muzzle for size reference.

Mosin-nagant bayonet?  

Hi Dean,

Yeah... you don't have the proper front sight for the traditional Soviet bayonet. You'll have to find a Finn example which I am not too familiar with.

?

Ok, thanks for quick reply. I just called the local gun shop but they didn't answer...ill try again another time. Unless anyone has a handy one for sale?
    Dean.

Uses a knife type as per my m39 rifle-the knife types are much rarer than the spike socket.

Don't ever try putting an M91/30 bayonet on the actual rifle. You will never be able to get the damn thing off. I learned this the hard way.