Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

My latest aquisition 1888 Mk 1 Type 1

Article about: Hello All, Here is my latest addition to my collection of 1888 Pattern bayonets for the Lee Metford and Long Lee Rifles. It is a 1888 Mk 1 Type 1 which I have been looking for for some time.

Default My latest aquisition 1888 Mk 1 Type 1

Hello All,
    Here is my latest addition to my collection of 1888 Pattern bayonets for the Lee Metford and Long Lee Rifles.
    It is a 1888 Mk 1 Type 1 which I have been looking for for some time.
    Lots of stampings on it a bit of damage to one side of the handle I am sure I can get sorted out or leave it as it is.
    A hard bayonet to find.
    Also bought another Long Lee bargain price later model with charger guide will post photo later.

Regards

Jim
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture My latest aquisition 1888 Mk 1 Type 1   My latest aquisition 1888 Mk 1 Type 1  

My latest aquisition 1888 Mk 1 Type 1   My latest aquisition 1888 Mk 1 Type 1  

?

Default Re: My latest aquisition 1888 Mk 1 Type 1

Jim,
    It's normally the blades and scabbards that suffer with the Metford bayonets ...
    I'd leave it "as is" .... it's the bayonets history as it stands ...

The "X" (next to the broadarrow)by the way is normally the decomissioning from service mark ...

And it's sure seen some work in it's life .... with all the inspectors marks !

Regards

Gary J.

?

Nice find, scarce bayonet. It sure has been around a bit. Looking forward to your new Long Lee posting , Ray

Hello Gary,
    Thank's for your comments.
    The X mark is in fact a Bend Test mark and not a decomissioning mark.
    The decomissioning mark is two "Crows Foot" Government property stamps facing each other.

Regards

Jim

Hello Ray ,
    Thank's, Long Lee posted with two other 1888's I have recently added to my copllection.

Regards

Jim

?

Jim, where are they posted? can you provide a site thread/address.
    I like the Long Lees also. I have a 1896 matching one that still has the original clearing rod, Ray

I see the thread, sorry missed it at first, Ray
    Last edited by RayG; 11-18-2010 at 07:39 PM.

Quote by Paratrooper View Post
    Hello All,
    Here is my latest addition to my collection of 1888 Pattern bayonets for the Lee Metford and Long Lee Rifles.
    It is a 1888 Mk 1 Type 1 which I have been looking for for some time.
    Lots of stampings on it a bit of damage to one side of the handle I am sure I can get sorted out or leave it as it is.
    A hard bayonet to find.
    Also bought another Long Lee bargain price later model with charger guide will post photo later.

Regards

Jim
    Hi Jim,
    I may be wrong about this, and it would not be the first time, but I am not sure your bayonet is correct. It appears that the date of manufacture is 00/92. Is that correct? I am pretty sure that production of the Mk I second type had begun by that time. I will have to check my bayonet to be sure.
    I am sure someone will chime in the correct information.
    Ed

I checked my book and the change to the 2nd Type took place in February 1890. Did you buy your bayonet from a dealer?

Ed

Hello Ed,
    Yes I got it from a dealer, Michael D Long. I will get it checked out further but I have never seen a repro Mk1 Type 1 before.
    Thanks for your concerns.

Regards

Jim

Hello Ed,
    The bayonet has two stamps on it of issue. If you look closely ther is a stamp underneath the 02 which is stamped 00/89.
    You can see the forward slash more clearly than the numbers but they are there. I will try to get some better photos.
    One of the reasons they modified the design of the handle to two rivets instead of three was because it sometimes split the wood as in this case which was a design flaw in the earlier type.

Regards

Jim

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast