Become our sponsor and display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

My Personal War Souvenirs

Article about: The course and result of the war are self evident of the poor performance of much of the Argentine military-hardly a surprise given that the only 'military experience' that the armed forces

Default Re: My Personal War Souvenirs

The course and result of the war are self evident of the poor performance of much of the Argentine military-hardly a surprise given that the only 'military experience' that the armed forces had was terrorizing their own people-including the poor bloody conscript soldiers on the islands-I was a young man at the time in 1982 and in our army reserve-I followed the war as closely as was possible at the time and also the aftermath that included the fall of the military Junta in 1983 that had provoked the war as a means of distracting the Argentine people from the dire state of the country under them-yet another disaster but one that had positive results for Argentina. And the Argentine officer who took a ceremonial sword to goose march his way up and down the streets of Port Stanley received a bit of a surprise.

Hello mate,
    You are right to say the Argentine soldiers were brave and tenacious in the defence of an island which did not belong to them. Please do not get into the politics of the Islands Sovreingty but suffice to say the islanders (who were not Argentine) did not want to participate in the Argentine plan.
    The Sabre as you put it belonged to an officer who was defending Goose green, I was a Sniper (rifleman) in 2 Para at that time and took it from an officer who was in the Airborne Artillery armed with the 105mm Pack Howitzers (We sold them to Argentina) when we captured Goose Green,

The statement the Argy food supplies were denied because of our Air Superiority is rubbish,
    The Argentine soldier was of the class of 62 which made him on average 20 years old not the "Chicos de la Guerra" which is the popular belief.
    I had my 21st birthday 3 weeks before we sailed we lost four 17 year olds there.

The Argentine soldiers boots and uniform were superior to ours (hence the reason we took the boots from the Argy dead) they were leather ours compressed cardboard. The weapons were all Automatics ,ours semi autos. They had a lot more men dug in than we had attacking.

The ration packs were better than ours, we had Arctic rations (dehydrated food) but because of liver fluke in the water and the lack of water resup we went short on occasion.

The move and the fight for Goose Green left us without food until we captured Argy positions and took their food and ammo ( We had none left)
    Argy rations were Beef in Gravy, Pork and Beans, Corned bef (The largest tins I ever saw) Oficers had small bottles of spirits ie Whiskey.

They had time to prepare for our attacks so flooded "Fox Holes" is an admin problem. We had the same problrm when we landed but built up instead of digging.

A lot of the picture painted about the Argentine soldiers life in the Falklands is propoganda to win the people over.

The Argentine army has never been tested against an Army like the Uk.
    It was trained to US standards and an assumption was made that we fight like the US.......WRONG!

The Argies called the shots and we obliged and won. The only losers are the families on both sides affected by the loss of life.

As a former Paratrooper I respect my enemy and hold no grudge, the Argentine soldier did his job as he saw it and a lot paid the ultimate price.
    I would like to make contct with Argentine Veterans (I have met 5 so far) we have a lot in common.

Going back to the Sabre, I "Liberated" some Parachute Wings from the officer with the sword, the names on the wings are Arnaldo Lobboggio ( I will double check that)

Any other questions please contact me.

Regards

Jim

Well said man good job!!!

Indeed wel said,and a good spirit!
    |<
    Always looking for Belgian Congo stuff!
    cheers
    |<ris

Hay Jim, seeing your FAL bayonet prompted me to go and find my own souvenir, it took a while but I found it, serial number 33371 so not far off yours, unfortunatly when I found it last year in the FI it didn't have a scabbard.

Hello Jim,
    Sorry for my late reply, I was thinking a lot on your reply, and I want to thank you, youŽve earned my respect and esteem with your comments about the argentinean army during the fight on Darwin and Goose Green, it helped me a lot to understand some situations and helped to crush the "chicos de la guerra" belief, who some part of the press and anti-government politics tried to install on peopleŽs mind, betraying the effort and patriotism of those who gave all defending what they believed and proudly felt... thanks a lot for your words.

IŽam very excited about your story of the sabre and the "wings", I was searching for some VGM (Malvinas War Veteran) called as you said, but until now I have no clue about an officer called "Lobboggio", I assume he was part of Grupo de Artilleria Aerotransportado 3 (GAA3, Airtransported Artillery Group 3), could you please check the name on them?
    Also, will be very helpful to know if this officer was dead when you took his wings and sabre or he was a prisoner, if you want to reserve some details, contact me by PM.
    IŽve told some friends about this contact and founded very interested, I can help to contact some veterans, also those who were parte of GAA3.
    Look forward to your reply.

Quote by lithgow View Post
    The course and result of the war are self evident of the poor performance of much of the Argentine military-hardly a surprise given that the only 'military experience' that the armed forces had was terrorizing their own people-including the poor bloody conscript soldiers on the islands-I was a young man at the time in 1982 and in our army reserve-I followed the war as closely as was possible at the time and also the aftermath that included the fall of the military Junta in 1983 that had provoked the war as a means of distracting the Argentine people from the dire state of the country under them-yet another disaster but one that had positive results for Argentina. And the Argentine officer who took a ceremonial sword to goose march his way up and down the streets of Port Stanley received a bit of a surprise.
    Lithgow, I wonŽt enter on political issues, but I think Mr Jim here, was very clear about the situation during the combat, I hope youŽve learnt something and stop talking "repeating like a parrot" as we say, cheers.

Hi jim,
    Well said on your answers and very nice bringbacks you have some nice bayo,s there, I left the army in 82, all i have as souvenirs from the falklands is a nice old union flag, a bit tatty on the outer edge as it was dragged for some time, but a nice flag never the less. thanks for all you lads done over there. ( the flag was a gift from a friend )
    dave.

?

Hi Jim, very nice collection you have there, and very pleasing to hear your comments regarding the fighting men of the Argentine Forces, i believe most did not want to be there, but as any soldier, you go where your told, my brother in law was there , he was a signaller to Farrah- Hockley i believe, but he saw his fair share of the fighting and did his fair share of tabbing across the island, he holds the same views as you, but the bugger didnt bring me anything back,never know you might have even knew him, but he was 3 para

Quote by Panzer 3 View Post
    Hi jim,
    Well said on your answers and very nice bringbacks you have some nice bayo,s there, I left the army in 82, all i have as souvenirs from the falklands is a nice old union flag, a bit tatty on the outer edge as it was dragged for some time, but a nice flag never the less. thanks for all you lads done over there. ( the flag was a gift from a friend )
    dave.
    A union flag with prevanance is a real nice item, especially when it means somthing to you.

Gent's thanks for the kind comments,
    Hello M3nobby, Yes mate well said. I have a Union flag whic is the one we flew at Goose green and I treasure it.
    Dave what was is your brother's name? Farragh -Hockley was OC ACoy 2 Para though. He was bollocked by Lt Col Jones
    For not pushing forward. Jones decided to win the war himself and ran up the hill and the rest is history. If your brother was with A Coy he was about 600m to my left when we were pinned down by Argy MG's along the ridge known as the Gorseline during our attack on Goose Green.

Regards

Jim

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast