Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

My recent German bayonet finds.

Article about: Greetings, I'd like to share these three bayonets that I recently picked up and ask if anyone knows anything about the 98/05. The two WKC bayonets I picked up together in a package deal (whi

Default My recent German bayonet finds.

Greetings,

I'd like to share these three bayonets that I recently picked up and ask if anyone knows anything about the 98/05.

The two WKC bayonets I picked up together in a package deal (which seemed fitting). Note that someone previously sharpened the k98 which is a darn shame but still a nice matching number bayonet and scabbard in my opinion. This is the first German dress bayonet I have been able to purchase.

The butcher blade I picked up separately for $50 at a flea market, (which I think was a good deal?). It is heavily blued and looks as though it once was a sawback which was altered. No date on the spine. It appears to have double maker marks. I wonder if this was due to the alteration, as in one maker made it and the other did the alteration? Also curious if anyone would know anything about when it might have been altered? I am guessing between the world wars due to lack of waffenampt. Shouldn't it have one if it was altered during the second world war?

What do you all think?
    Pally
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture My recent German bayonet finds.   My recent German bayonet finds.  

My recent German bayonet finds.   My recent German bayonet finds.  

My recent German bayonet finds.   My recent German bayonet finds.  

?

Default Re: My recent German bayonet finds.

Nice finds.
    I believe you are right about the butcher blade being ground down.

All very nice. The Dress bayonet by 'Weyersberg Kirschbaum & Cie.' is in excellent condition.
    Nice to see the matching K98 - made by WKC as well.

'Butcher' sawblades were ordered cut down sometime during WWI as there were complaints
    about them being too brutal. Police units used these reissued Butcher bayonets in the
    1920's I recall, and 'Durkopp' was likely the original maker.........
    Regards,

Steve.

?

Very nice. I especially like the 98/05 Butcher blade. Yours has indeed had a sawback removed. This was done during the First World War, after 1916 and before the end of the War in 1918.

The dual maker is common, one company (in this case F. Koeller) provided the blade and another company (here "Durkopp Werke") finished the bayonet and provided it for inspection and acceptance to the German Army. Durkopp Werke is not a common maker.

These bayonets along with WW1 issue 84/98 bayonets stayed in service post WW1 and some served until 1945 in the hands of the reserves. The blued finish was applied post 1930 for issue to the army.