Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

A mystery and a challenge... bolo identification

Article about: Let me start by saying that I am not even certain this is a military piece but I thought I'd take a stab anyway and see if anyone has any ideas. Back story is that I found this bolo like kni

Default A mystery and a challenge... bolo identification

Let me start by saying that I am not even certain this is a military piece but I thought I'd take a stab anyway and see if anyone has any ideas. Back story is that I found this bolo like knife stuck in a stump on an island in the middle of the Allegheny River when I was on a fishing trip as a kid (like 20 years ago). It has some characters that may be Japanese or Chinese perhaps (pardon my ignorance but I can not tell the difference). Any help would be most welcome.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture A mystery and a challenge... bolo identification   A mystery and a challenge... bolo identification  

A mystery and a challenge... bolo identification   A mystery and a challenge... bolo identification  

A mystery and a challenge... bolo identification  

?

Default Re: A mystery and a challenge... bolo identification

It is for Jewish oriental bris ceremonies.
    The oriental moyl gets 10 bucks a day for his work and a chance to get ahead.

In all seriousness I do not think it is military sir.
    SteveR

This is a Japanese bolo known as a "Nata". They were used in Vietnam by soldiers who were looking for a light machete. The reference book " The Military Knife and Bayonet" By Homer Brett has this bolo pictured in the U.S. Section.

Wow, challenge met. Thanks a ton mayralphie! I am amazed that you were able find it. Was it truly that specific bolo? Same markings?

It sounds like it is a civilian bolo that may have been used in a military capacity in the Vietnam war era.

Again, how it got left in a stump in a river in western PA we'll never know but it seems plausible it was accidentally left behind by a vet. How else could a Nata end up here?

Thanks again,
    Pal

These had square and pointed blades and different markings on the blades. As far as I know they were private purchase in Japan or Okanawa and had a leather covered wooden scabbard.

Quote by paladin1919 View Post
    Wow, challenge met. Thanks a ton mayralphie! I am amazed that you were able find it. Was it truly that specific bolo? Same markings?

It sounds like it is a civilian bolo that may have been used in a military capacity in the Vietnam war era.

Again, how it got left in a stump in a river in western PA we'll never know but it seems plausible it was accidentally left behind by a vet. How else could a Nata end up here?

Thanks again,
    Pal
    You can find a lot of funny things in the woods of Western PA. I found a Vietnam-era M1 shell just south of Erie several years ago. It was half-buried and rusted to hell.