Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Need help with this . Aussie bayonet and fighting knife combination

Article about: Hello again guys, This is the second of my newest addition to my collection. It was labled "Australian Commando Bayonet" I have looked in Ian Skennerton's book and see one like it

Default Need help with this . Aussie bayonet and fighting knife combination

Hello again guys,
    This is the second of my newest addition to my collection.
    It was labled "Australian Commando Bayonet" I have looked in Ian Skennerton's book and see one like it listed as "Sample No1 Combination Short Bayonet and Fighting Knife"
    This was one of a few "Sample" Prototypes designated "Commando Bayonet/Fighting Knives.
    To quote Ian's book " These were constructed from broken bayonets that had failed the bending test and it was consideredthat this would be a means to utilize otherwise useless bayonets.
    As you can see there are inspection stamps on the ricasso on one side but there are no maker marks or date of manufacture on the other.
    There is SLAZ42 on the grips.
    I could not see any scabbard photos but this came in the scabbard pictured.
    Any info on this please enlighten me.
    I will be forwarding the photos to Ian Skennerton for his valued opinion.

Regards

Jim
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Need help with this . Aussie bayonet and fighting knife combination   Need help with this . Aussie bayonet and fighting knife combination  

Need help with this . Aussie bayonet and fighting knife combination   Need help with this . Aussie bayonet and fighting knife combination  

Need help with this . Aussie bayonet and fighting knife combination   Need help with this . Aussie bayonet and fighting knife combination  

Hey Para, this is my first post on this forum, but I've enjoyed looking through some of your other bayonets for quite a while now.
    Gotta say this one looks 'newly made' to me. If its supposed to be made from reject blades its got the strangest runout of fuller I've ever seen.
    Also I have never seen inspection marks like that on a bayonet, which apparently indicate a BSA inspector's view, with the B in italics.
    Definitely strange style of crown being used there as well.
    The SLAZ 42 mark looks to be correct for Australian furniture, but the blade is unlike anything Australian that I have ever seen. Scabbard likewise.
    Cheers Mate.

Default Re: Need help with this . Aussie bayonet and fighting knife combination

It appears to be what you have described, and it is in excellent condition.
    This would normally be called a 'theatre made' knife, if it were more
    worn and battered, but this one is too 'new'.

Is the button working ? There's a lot of bogus Chinese stuff on the market
    lately, but I don't think this is one of them. Hard to say though, as I also
    agree somewhat with the comments above about the grip plates,
    scabbard and the markings..................
    Regards,

Steve.

?

I must admit Jim, that the groove worried me as well, if this was from a cut down bayonet the groove would extend past the tip but this seems to have been purpose made at that length and depth, see what Ian Skennerton makes of it, it will be interesting to find out

Hello guys,
    Thnks for the input. With regards to the Fuller, the one in Ian Skennrtons book is the same. It is a broken bayonet reshaped and the Fuller looks as mine does.(By the way I am not trying to convince myself this is right) He does not explain about the markings on his though and you cannot see any.
    With regards to the button working, the bayonet fits on an SMLE fine.
    There were a few more than 2,000 Machete bayonets made though.

Regards

Jim
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Need help with this . Aussie bayonet and fighting knife combination   Need help with this . Aussie bayonet and fighting knife combination  

Jim, you need to compare the 'runout' on the fullers closest to the crossguard. If they are made from reject P1907 style blades then the shape of these fullers should look familiar. The 'runout' on yours is totally weird and different to the others.

I also checked with photos in Skennerton's books and they don't match up. If these were made in Australia during WW2 they should look like they were made with Lithgow blades which have a very distinctive shape to the fuller as it meets the ricasso. Just my opinion.

Hello-I asked a local collector/expert and his opinion was that this one was bad just from the description-all the Aust knives used cut down leather/metal scabbards-see the attached photo (not my collection though but a local one). Would think this is an old British bayo altered and fitted with Slazenger grips which are still available new to 'produce' a much more valuable type.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Need help with this . Aussie bayonet and fighting knife combination  
    Last edited by lithgow; 03-31-2011 at 07:11 PM.

?

The other scabbard shown in your first photos look like a cut down Polish scabbard.
    JEDEM DAS SEINE