MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here

Need help to ID edged weapon

Article about: I need help to ID an edged weapon, there are no pictures as yet but i will try to describe as best i can. This is what i would call a short sword style weapon or perhaps Hewer?. The blade is

?

Default Need help to ID edged weapon

I need help to ID an edged weapon, there are no pictures as yet but i will try to describe as best i can. This is what i would call a short sword style weapon or perhaps Hewer?. The blade is 18" long 1and a half inches wide and slightly curved. It has a solid brass handle with a german style eagles head, as per most german bayonets. On one side of the grip there are cut grooves onthe other smooth.The scabbard is black leather with brass ferrel with a ball end the blade end has a 2" frog hook also mounted in brass , both are stamped with inspection cyphers , unreadable, The crossguard is in the shape of an elongated S and has the markings 22.A.2.26. K, the rear of the blade has a crown with a large W beneath and the number 12 below that and again inspection cypher. The brass frog has the same markings as the crossguard, there is also a long leather frog attached,black in colour. There is no attachments for a rifle of any description.Any ideas anyone and possible value? Thank you.

Default Re: Need help to ID edged weapon

Quote by davejb View Post
    I need help to ID an edged weapon, there are no pictures as yet but i will try to describe as best i can. This is what i would call a short sword style weapon or perhaps Hewer?. The blade is 18" long 1and a half inches wide and slightly curved. It has a solid brass handle with a german style eagles head, as per most german bayonets. On one side of the grip there are cut grooves onthe other smooth.The scabbard is black leather with brass ferrel with a ball end the blade end has a 2" frog hook also mounted in brass , both are stamped with inspection cyphers , unreadable, The crossguard is in the shape of an elongated S and has the markings 22.A.2.26. K, the rear of the blade has a crown with a large W beneath and the number 12 below that and again inspection cypher. The brass frog has the same markings as the crossguard, there is also a long leather frog attached,black in colour. There is no attachments for a rifle of any description.Any ideas anyone and possible value? Thank you.
    Sounds like a German Model 1871 Bayonet.. This type of bayonet was the first issued in the first year of the New Imperial germany and used with the 11mm Infantry rifle Model 71.. I have posted a picture of one in my collection.... Or it could be a non attachable dress bayonet..... Or several other German Walking out dress side arms/blades...Some picts. would help a lot...BILL
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Need help to ID edged weapon   Need help to ID edged weapon  

"As long as there are brave men and warriors the halls of Valhalla will never be silent or empty"

In memory of my father William T. Grist December 26, 1920--September 10, 2009..
    901st. Ordnance H.A.M. North Africa, Italy, Southern France....ETO
    Also in memory of my mother Jane Kidd Grist Feb. 22, 1920-- September 27, 2009... WWll War bride May 1942...

?

Default Re: Need help to ID edged weapon

That is it bill, and it is the non rifle type ,this forum is unbelievable, I would nt have known where to start on this one thankyou, more info for me to digest and store.