Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Need help for identification and evaluation for this DEMAG bayonet

Article about: Hello all. I'm so glad I found you. I'm not a collector, I do not know anything about weapons and I was fine with that until I came into possession of this object. After a few weeks of Inter

?

Default Need help for identification and evaluation for this DEMAG bayonet

Hello all.
    I'm so glad I found you. I'm not a collector, I do not know anything about weapons and I was fine with that until I came into possession of this object. After a few weeks of Internet searches, searches that left me even more confused than I was, I finally got here, where I hope to find the answers I am looking for.
    Please tell me if this is an original DEMAG bayonet or is a replica? Thank you.

Default Measure Here.

Greetings,

I like what I see, one last check. Measure the crosspiece (between the two red arrows as below). If it is 3mm its an original, if it is 4mm its a reproduction.

I don't provide valuations as that quickly turns forums like these into "What's it worth???" deserts. Ebay is a good place to determine valuations for those willing to put in the effort, not so much for the "gimmie an answer now" cause I said "please" types, though ;-)

Best,

V/r Lance

?

Thank you very much, MilitariaOne By evaluation I was referring to original or replica, not financial evaluation, sorry, my English is pretty bad I did the measurements, crosspiece it's 3 cm. From what I read, this bayonet was manufactured only three years, how in such a short time they had different markings on the blade?

[QUOTE How in such a short time they had different markings on the blade?

Good question, my supposition would be the differing markings were due to several factors, the primary of which was the award of a patent of the design during those three years. As such, there are pre-patent's markings, post patent's markings, variants of those, and even unmarked variants too. Makes collecting them all a bit of a challenge :-)

Best,

V/r Lance

?

I would be curious to see how many original types exist, considering that only on the forum I saw 4 - 5 models. So this bayonet is definitely original? I should clean it somehow or leave it the way it is?

Greetings,

I really don't see much requiring cleaning on your example. Unless, there is active (red) rust, I'd simply recommend wiping with a cloth containing a dab of light oil or a wipe down with rubbing alcohol covered rag and then a coat of crystalline wax applied such as Renaissance Wax.

As far as cleaning goes, many folks go too far as in buffing or too, putting an edge on an old blade, which when poorly executed, greatly devalues the object in question. Your bayonet is in average condition, nothing amazing nor anything to be ashamed of. Your, bayonet in my opinion is an original.

Best,

V/r Lance

?

Thank you very much for your time, I honestly did not expect on such a professional forum get some answers to my nubby questions.

As Lance has said, I agree that it is an original, in acceptable condition.
    I make knives for a hobby, and this one I would not touch. It's value as a collectable is in it's current condition.
    You will not increase the value by cleaning it but, you could lose some value if you do.
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

?

Thank you, rbminis. As I said before, I am not a collector and I do not know what value it can have, although I think that a 100-year-old weapon, can have at least a historical value. I just was curious about its origin and authenticity because ,,I saved,, him from being used in the garden. We found this bayonet when we bought the house, in the attic, 3 years ago, and since then It was effectively forgotten in a garage, until this spring.

I agree with Lance & Ralph, this is a good one. A couple of points, that also help in authenticating. The rivets on the scabbard are the type typically seen in WW1 era and not usually on reproductions. The painted hand grip seem to have traces of feld grau paint under the olive paint. They left the factory with field grey, repainted later. The marks including the DRGM indicates pre 1916 manufacture. These are very collectable and should you wish, you will have no trouble selling it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast