Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

newbi has a question!

Article about: hi my name is nick and i have a jap bayonet and i need help! can you tell me what gun is it for? there is black paint on it is it war time paint or post war and a general value? all info wou

Default newbi has a question!

hi my name is nick and i have a jap bayonet and i need help! can you tell me what gun is it for? there is black paint on it is it war time paint or post war and a general value? all info would be great im a new collector and all help will be accepted. - nick k
    Attached Images Attached Images newbi has a question!  newbi has a question!  newbi has a question!  newbi has a question!  newbi has a question!  newbi has a question! 

Default Re: newbi has a question!

This is an Arisaka bayonet. I believe that the Arisaka was the general issue rifle for the Japanese in WW2 aswell.
    One problem is the handle, which is black on yours. I'm not quite sure if this means it's post war, but I have only seen Arisaka bayonets with a light brown color.

This is not really my branch of WW2 knowledge though, so you should wait for others.

Regards,
    Finn

Quote by Rommel1942 View Post
    This is an Arisaka bayonet. I believe that the Arisaka was the general issue rifle for the Japanese in WW2 aswell.
    One problem is the handle, which is black on yours. I'm not quite sure if this means it's post war, but I have only seen Arisaka bayonets with a light brown color.

This is not really my branch of WW2 knowledge though, so you should wait for others.

Regards,
    Finn
    I do have one ,I really do not collect japonese stuff.
    But like you saided my has the brown color wood.

Hello-as prev stated the bayonet is the type 30 that fitted the various Arisaka T38 and T 99 rifles & carbines. The hook quillon is present on earlier production examples, the symbol on the blade near the hilt is for the Tokyo Koishikowa arsenal until 1935 then the Kokura arsenal 1935-45. The wood on the handle will often darken with age especially with oil and dirt ingrained in the wood over time. Value would be in the US $40-100 range depending on the exact condition, rarity and any provenance (info when, where and by who it was obtained from the Japanese forces) available.

its not black because if the age some one painted and i dont know if it was for a reason or a gi brought it home and painted it? thanks for your help so far though i appreciate it - nick k

i bought it at a antique store and i know nothing of its previous owner do you think that wire tie on it is suppose to be there or should i take it off?

wire tie seems unusual to me, don't know why its there.. if its easy to take off and put on, like a twist-tie, then it is probably post war...

Hello-looks like the wire is for hanging the bayo from a hook-most likely post war for display either by owner or store for sale-can't see it being done for any military reason.

ok thanks for the help and also whta about the black paint is it post war how can i tell? - nick k