MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here

No.7MK1/L WWII, or, post WWII ? ...

Article about: Hi, mates ! Received this No.7MK1/L yesterday. Was this, particular, bayonet manufactured pre ´45, or, post ´45 ? ... Manufacturers, (dispersal) code´s M/78, (Elkington & Co. Ltd.) The s

Question No.7MK1/L WWII, or, post WWII ? ...

Hi, mates !

Received this No.7MK1/L yesterday.
    Was this, particular, bayonet manufactured pre ´45, or, post ´45 ? ...

Manufacturers, (dispersal) code´s M/78, (Elkington & Co. Ltd.)

The sheath is phosphatised !

If the L stands for Land, was there an A or M, (N), also ? ...

Thx. in advance,
    R.
    No.7MK1/L WWII, or, post WWII ? ...No.7MK1/L WWII, or, post WWII ? ...No.7MK1/L WWII, or, post WWII ? ...No.7MK1/L WWII, or, post WWII ? ...No.7MK1/L WWII, or, post WWII ? ...No.7MK1/L WWII, or, post WWII ? ...No.7MK1/L WWII, or, post WWII ? ...No.7MK1/L WWII, or, post WWII ? ...
    Last edited by Reibert; 11-04-2015 at 09:33 PM.

Only approved for land service, contracts were let in early February 1945-doubtful any saw service in WW2 given the late date of adoption and its use initially on the Mk 5 Sten Gun.

Thx. a lot !

Hi !

Received another one, also showing the manufacturers, (dispersal), code M/78, (Elkington & Co. Ltd.)

scabbard code: S286, VANDEN PLAS (ENG)

Any informations regarding the "time frame", such marked sheath´s were manufactured ?

Am I right, that bayonet and scabbard are totally mismatched and brought together anytime ?

Anyway, I like the, (obviously heavily worn), condition of the bayonet !

No.7MK1/L WWII, or, post WWII ? ...No.7MK1/L WWII, or, post WWII ? ...No.7MK1/L WWII, or, post WWII ? ...No.7MK1/L WWII, or, post WWII ? ...No.7MK1/L WWII, or, post WWII ? ...No.7MK1/L WWII, or, post WWII ? ...No.7MK1/L WWII, or, post WWII ? ...No.7MK1/L WWII, or, post WWII ? ...

Quote by Reibert View Post
    scabbard code: S286, VANDEN PLAS (ENG)

Any informations regarding the "time frame", such marked sheath´s were manufactured ?
    After more than 8 years, I would like to ask my question again.
    Maybe, in the meantime, someone from the bayonet collectors here has an answer for me?

Thanks and regards,
    R.

?

S286 was the war time manufacture code for Vanden Plas they had a contract on 24/11/1944 for No5 scabbards and by the end of the war they had produced 20,000. Im taking this from SKENNERTON's British and Commonwealth Bayonets and it doesn't look like they produced any post war.

M/78 was the war time manufacture code for Elkington they had a contract on 3/2/1945 for No7 bayonets and had produced 100,000 but the end of the war.

Considering your scabbard was manufactured by a contractor and both it and the bayonet are war time manufactured its possible that they were originally mated but they could have been paired at any time.

?

The condition of the scabbard does not match the condition of the bayonet, so I believe they were mated later. This type of scabbard was in use for some 40 odd years.