MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here

Opinions sought about a pair of US socket bayonets

Article about: Greetings, I picked up a pair of socket bayonets 2 weekends ago and I am anxious to get an opinion about them. The first (on top) is labeled as a an 1816 Harpers Ferry bayonet and appears to

Default Opinions sought about a pair of US socket bayonets

Greetings,

I picked up a pair of socket bayonets 2 weekends ago and I am anxious to get an opinion about them.

The first (on top) is labeled as a an 1816 Harpers Ferry bayonet and appears to meet the size specifications but it is lacking the typical "US" over other 2 letter stamping. It has the correct appearance of age to me but I am a novice at judging patina and I wonder if this isn't a fake... There is minimal pitting on the blade and socket that seems natural to me. Note the lack of patina on the socket but this seems natural to me as this would be part most in contact with acidic skin... Also note the small notch on the bridge/beginning of the mortise slot. Not pictured but it has the appropriate prow point. I welcome all opinions as to its authenticity. They made a lot of them and it seems rational that some may not have been stamped but perhaps I am too optimistic?

The second bayonet (middle with a little rust) was marketed as a Sharp's bayonet but I am pretty certain it is not and actually a cadet version of the 1873 Springfield trapdoor rifle. The third bayonet (one on the bottom) is a regular 1873 trapdoor bayonet included as reference.

I didn't spend a fortune on them but am curious if y'all think I got taken. Talked the guy down to $90 for the pair.

Thanks as always,

Pal
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Opinions sought about a pair of US socket bayonets   Opinions sought about a pair of US socket bayonets  

Opinions sought about a pair of US socket bayonets   Opinions sought about a pair of US socket bayonets  

Opinions sought about a pair of US socket bayonets