Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Possible German Navy Issue Butcher Blade

Article about: I recently acquired this bayonet, which seemed like a common WW1 butcher blade bayonet, however, on the top of the guard, there is an N with a proof mark underneath of it. In my research, I

Default Possible German Navy Issue Butcher Blade

I recently acquired this bayonet, which seemed like a common WW1 butcher blade bayonet, however, on the top of the guard, there is an N with a proof mark underneath of it. In my research, I have found that an N would designate Nordsee which would be for naval use, however, the N is always beside the serial number but in this case it is not. Does anyone know what the "N" on the guard stands for in this instance?
    Thanks,
    David
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Possible German Navy Issue Butcher Blade   Possible German Navy Issue Butcher Blade  

Possible German Navy Issue Butcher Blade   Possible German Navy Issue Butcher Blade  

Possible German Navy Issue Butcher Blade   Possible German Navy Issue Butcher Blade  

Default Re: Possible German Navy Issue Butcher Blade

Example of the Navy marking for the Butcher bayonet.
    Otherwise such a bayonet are not in my interest, so I am also curious.

Regards
    Vedran
    Attached Images Attached Images Possible German Navy Issue Butcher Blade 

?

Rancid66's bayonet show the proper naval style unit markings found on Imperial bayonets. Hard to say what the "N" represents but it does not indicate "Nordsee" nor does it have anything to do with a unit mark of any kind. You have what appears to be a standard army issue bayonet from the Great War of 1914 - 1918. Some say that the accountability numbers stamped on the crossguard in the fashion of yours represent Bavarian service but I have never seen proof of that. What marks are on top of the blade? They will say when the bayonet was made and which of the 4 primary state forces - Prussia, Bavaria, Württemberg and Saxony - accepted it into service.

The inspectors/acceptance marks below the "N" and on the hilt are standard.

Thanks for the information;on the back of the spine there is a W 15 with a crown underneath.I have found if you double click on the picture it will magnify it greatly.What does the 935 . on the crossguard stand for?
    Regards,
    David

?

"935" on the crossguard is an accountability number. It was applied by the regimental armorer and was written in the soldier's record. It indicated that he was accountable for the bayonet, and that it would be returned by him to the regimental stores, either at the end of his enlistment or when a new bayonet was issued. It also indicated that he would return it in good condition with only service ware. This was not done by all issuing units, it was probably done on the order of the regimental commanding officer.

EDIT - Forgot to mention that the "W" over "15" means that it was accepted for service by Prussia in 1915.

Once again, thank you for the information.
    Regards,
    David