Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here

Pre - WW1 Bavarian Sabre

Article about: Bought this Bavarian Sabre, I take it to be mannschaft’s piece, the overall condition is fairly good, clean blade, generally it gives a orderly impression. Two Makers Marks - side views of k

?

Default Pre - WW1 Bavarian Sabre

Bought this Bavarian Sabre, I take it to be mannschaft’s piece, the overall condition is fairly good, clean blade, generally it gives a orderly impression. Two Makers Marks - side views of king’s head with crown and knights helmet and the initials W.K. & C for Weyersberg, Kirschbaum & Co both sides of the blade are etched with the Bavarian coat of arms and the motto "In True Fest" I spent a afternoon looking through the internet in the hope of finding another one with some information – no luck,. I would really like to know, which era it’s from. I believe pre to WW1 perhaps the makers mark designs will give a clue. Unfortunately I’m not to familiar with them. Any information welcome.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Pre - WW1 Bavarian Sabre   Pre - WW1 Bavarian Sabre  

Pre - WW1 Bavarian Sabre   Pre - WW1 Bavarian Sabre  

Pre - WW1 Bavarian Sabre  

NEAT! i really want to get my first sword

?

It is a nice period blade worthy of any collection.

Greetings Alec,

Here’s a similar style, by a different maker and of beefier design with a date of 1915. Nothing definitive, but I thought you’d want to see it anyway. It’s for sale here
    http://www.gundersonmilitaria.com/im...weyersberg.jpg I’m not connected with the seller in any way.

Regards,

Lance

Double click on picture to enlarge.

Pre - WW1 Bavarian Sabre

?

Thanks Everyone for the posts and pictures. Had another go at pinning down the sabre to a particular time frame. The firms Weyerberg (Kingshead) and Kirschbaum (Knights Helmet) amalgamated in 1883 - hard to imagine a double makers mark before then. John Angolia's book German Swords 1900-45 has a undated sword picture with the same double makers mark and initials, which indicates it was still in use round 1900+. Lance's 1915 piece so similar to mine with minor differences of grip, scabbard, blade point has a fully different makers mark, could means it had been phased out, just don't have enough evidence at the moment. Hope a expert reads the thread.

Just want to indicate - for basic difference between these two sabers:

The first one is a parade saber - etched blade, probably was private property of military personnel, and the second one is combat sabre - can be seen clearly stamp, (Which confirms that the sword was the property of the Imperial German Army - Bavaria) and a lot wider blade.

Regards
    Vedran

History of WKC company:

1560:

The prehistory of the company Weyersberg, Kirschbaum and Cie in Solingen started in the Middle Ages, as one of the first trade marks of its type for the sabres and swords. In 1560, the ' ' king's head' ' mark, signature of forging mill,Johannes Wundes was recorded.

Swords have always played a major role in world history. Some swords weapons were of such importance that they were given specific names such as King Arthur's "Excalibur" or Segfried's "Balmung". In the 16th century, the art of sword forging was already well developed in Solingen and Wilhelm Weyersberg, an ancestor of the WKC founder, became the Mayor of Solingen in 1573.

By this time, the "Solingen method," a division of labour organized by the guilds, was already established. For example, the tasks of sharpening and polishing of swords were performed not by the same workers, but by craftsmen trained for the single skill. Due to this innovation, the craftsmen of Solingen gained a good reputation for excellent blades. The quality of the blade was recognised to such an extent that the name "Solingen" became an international brand name. Even today, "Solingen" is a legally protected trademark. During the time of the Industrial Revolution, the Weyersberg family played an important role in sword production and marketing in Solingen.

One of the reasons for this success was the invention of the blade forge roller in England. Fritz Weyersberg acquired this patent and introduced the roller in Solingen for the first time. Thanks to this equipment, Fritz Weyersberg was able to produce a significantly greater number of blades than normally possible.

1854:

However, at the same time another family also greatly influenced the city of Solingen: Family Kirschbaum gained a worldwide reputation for the marketing of Solingen's swords. In 1854, the helmet of knight, Kirschbaum's family trade mark, was recorded.

1883:

In 1883 the two families joined together and founded Weyersberg, Kirschbaum, and Cie. (WKC), the most powerful enterprise in Solingen at this time. In 1900, the company employed more than 1,200 workers.

In addition to swords, they also produced complete weapons, bike parts and motorcycles and phones. It was not a coincidence that the first two telephones in Solingen with the numbers 1 and 2 belonged to the company Weyersberg, Kirschbaum, and Cie.

1922:

In 1922, WKC was taken over by the "Siegen Solinger Gussstahlverein" and business suffered greatly under the severe economic crisis of the time.

1944:

Between 1933 and 1945, WKC regained a reputation for outstanding quality swords and knives and became the most important supplier of these items to the German army. During World War II, WKC was the target of Allied bombardments of Solingen and almost all buildings and equipment were destroyed. The production was stopped after the bombardment of Solingen, on Nov. 4th and 5th 1944