Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

Question about bayonet id and presentation

Article about: Hi guys, just hit the forum, I was checking the threads for some days already and I think this is one of the best forums for war edged weapons, congrats! . Now, the piece ... it comes from a

Ender
    ?

Default Question about bayonet id and presentation

Hi guys, just hit the forum, I was checking the threads for some days already and I think this is one of the best forums for war edged weapons, congrats! .

Now, the piece ... it comes from a family relic, military family btw. Grandpa told me it came from Cuba (AMER-Spanish war), no marks on.

For some reason, I picture it fitting in a shotgun, but I have nothing to backup that idea.

Looking forward your answers.

Regards.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Question about bayonet id and presentation   Question about bayonet id and presentation  

?

Default Re: Question about bayonet id and presentation

Very interesting issue... Looks like some kind of machete - it may have been originally produced as machete bayo?

And afterwards blade reworked as kind of mixt between machete and Bowie knife? But ok, those a just my considerations

Ender
    ?

yup, I was thinking about some kind of machete modification, but the sheath fits well enough to make me think the shape wasn't modified.

For other hand, in the muzzle ring, even if it looks "smashed", I can't spot any mark on it ... weird, btw, this is not the first place where I have asked about this piece metal, no answers so far.

Regards.

agmohio
    ?

Hello Ender,
    Your bayonet is Spanish. It is a bayonet used in the late 19th century by the peones camineros, a uniformed and armed paramilitary government department that maintained and repaired rural roads, protected travelers and guarded against bandits. They served in Spain and all the colonies so it is very possible it came from Cuba in the Spanish American War. It is an issue weapon and has not been modified from a machete. Generally, the peones camineros were armed with the Remington carbine, but some type of double barrel shotgun would not be out of the question in their line of work. It is a very nice example and a bit rare. I hope this helps.
    Bill

Looks like a bayo for a s/s shotgun...weird.

Sorry, already been mooted above!

Ned.
    Last edited by big ned; 06-20-2011 at 02:27 AM. Reason: it's been said...
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

I agree - it must indeed be for a shotgun. I can think of no other type
    of weapon which has a 'side-by-side' configuration that would
    fit into this opening............!
    Regards,

Steve.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.