Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Rare 1917 Trench knife variant

Article about: New acquisition for my trench knife collection! From what I've read on other sites, this knife, with the 7 pyramids on the knuckles are pretty hard to come by. Let alone for 150 bucks! Shoul

?

Default Rare 1917 Trench knife variant

New acquisition for my trench knife collection!
    From what I've read on other sites, this knife, with the 7 pyramids on the knuckles are pretty hard to come by. Let alone for 150 bucks!
    Should be gettin' it in the mail soon...
    Rare 1917 Trench knife variantRare 1917 Trench knife variantRare 1917 Trench knife variantRare 1917 Trench knife variantRare 1917 Trench knife variantRare 1917 Trench knife variant

?

With scabbard and original 9 inch blade, the knife by Landers, Frerry and Clark like yours would sell here in the US for between $350 and $450, depending on condition and if it has a scabbard.

Sorry, I am afraid that the L.F.&C contract is the most common of the M1917 knives followed by ACC. The scarce (rare!) ones are by Henry Diston & Sons and Oneida Community Limited and they can sell for much higher prices, again, depending on condition and completeness.

?

Yes, I know the lf&c ones are abundant but It is the ones with the 7 pyramids that may be more scarce than the 5 pyramid variants. Although I just may be talking out of my ass here since I really have no experience here. Maybe my choice of the word (rare) was not quite the right choice. Thanks for the input!

Greetings Jonobo,

It appears your rare(er) variant’s price was so reasonable, because its blade was shortened (possibly broken off and re-tipped; a fairly common issue with this series of knives). That change/modification greatly impacts its value on the collector’s market, but can be one of those items which is a placeholder until you find a better conditioned replacement.

Regards,

Lance