Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here

S84/98 a.A.

Article about: This is something I wouldn't normally get but due to a slight err, 'technical error' whilst reading an auction catalogue lot number I left a commission bid on the wrong bayonet and I ended u

Default S84/98 a.A.

This is something I wouldn't normally get but due to a slight err, 'technical error' whilst reading an auction catalogue lot number I left a commission bid on the wrong bayonet and I ended up with this...
    Fortunately, it was very cheap as I'd left a really low bid on the 'other item' and nobody else bid on this. Anyhow, once I got it I decided I quite like it really, it's not got it's scabbard and an some time in its history it's been sharpened but some time ago I'd guess.
    It's also regimentally marked but I think part of the marking has been removed whilst the muzzle ring was ground down when it was being converted from an S71/84 to a S84/98.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture S84/98 a.A.   S84/98 a.A.  

S84/98 a.A.   S84/98 a.A.  

Some more...
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture S84/98 a.A.   S84/98 a.A.  

S84/98 a.A.   S84/98 a.A.  

Final ones...

S84/98 a.A.  

Nice buy for real cheap!! Good job.

?

Rare to find a Bavarian marked conversion. The date stamp under crown over O for King Otto looks like a 96, but these conversions were made with 87 and 88 dated blades. Does it look like it could have been an 88 that the pitting made look like a 96?

A rare find, even without a scabbard!

Jim

Nice find of a scarce bayonet I just missed one several years and haven't seen another since until tonight. timothy

Quote by Jim P View Post
    Rare to find a Bavarian marked conversion. The date stamp under crown over O for King Otto looks like a 96, but these conversions were made with 87 and 88 dated blades. Does it look like it could have been an 88 that the pitting made look like a 96?

A rare find, even without a scabbard!

Jim
    Hi Jim, I've had a good look at the date with a magnifying glass and I'd say it's definitely a '96'.

It cost me £32, I take it that it's not too bad a buy for a 'mistake' then....

?

Quote by Time Bandit View Post
    Hi Jim, I've had a good look at the date with a magnifying glass and I'd say it's definitely a '96'.

It cost me £32, I take it that it's not too bad a buy for a 'mistake' then....
    I would say you did well! I did some more digging and found out that Prussian 84/98's were converted with mostly 87-88 dated blades with a rare 85 and 89 here and there. Bavarian made conversions are found with 95,96&97 dated blades. Now all you need is a leather scabbard and you're good to go.

Jim

Quote by Jim P View Post
    I would say you did well! I did some more digging and found out that Prussian 84/98's were converted with mostly 87-88 dated blades with a rare 85 and 89 here and there. Bavarian made conversions are found with 95,96&97 dated blades. Now all you need is a leather scabbard and you're good to go.

Jim
    Thanks for the extra info Jim, not something I knew.

I imagine getting a leather scabbard for it would be easier said than done...

?

They can be hard to find and if you do find one, it will probably cost what you paid for the bayo. On the upside, most of these didn't have matching numbers after the conversion, so all you need is any leather 84/98 scabbard, no matter how it is numbered, to be correct.

Jim