Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

S98n.A producer to be identified

Article about: Hy guys - I´ve just got that bayo which is kinda of mistery for me so far. It should be usual German S98n.A sawback but looks a bit of strange. First of all - no any makers marks (or other m

?

Default S98n.A producer to be identified

Hy guys - I´ve just got that bayo which is kinda of mistery for me so far.

It should be usual German S98n.A sawback but looks a bit of strange.
    First of all - no any makers marks (or other markings) in any piece of this set. Secondly, all that work seems made too robust to be German-produced. Thirdly, it has typically Yugoslavian frog which is sitting very tightly around scabbard... Finally, all this set - bayonet and scabbard has rather good and fresh condition.

So, I have a Q-n - wazzit? Is it some early Yugoslavian copy? If not, who would be the producer?

In following pictures I have that sawback (for better comparison) together with a regular example of S98n.A
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture S98n.A producer to be identified   S98n.A producer to be identified  

S98n.A producer to be identified   S98n.A producer to be identified  

S98n.A producer to be identified  

?

Unmarked bayonets are not at all uncommon. Occasionally you will find a German bayonet of standard pattern with no makers marks but that do have inspection marks - what many improperly call "proof marks" - and this signifies that the bayonet by an unknown maker was inspected and accepted for military service.

Your bayonet is a "walking out" or dress bayonet made for private purchase to be worn when in uniform but off duty. It was not intended to be used and while it might actually fit a rifle, it will likely not stand up to combat use. Many walking out bayonets have slots too small for the bayonet stud.

The Yugoslavian frog has been put on the bayonet by some enterprising individual in the recent past, it means nothing other than that.

?

Thank You very much - I forget completely about those privately purchased walking-out versions of most common German bayos!

That explains also very well, why this set seems different from line-production - having certain visibility of hand-made work.

Bruno

IMA German WWI Machine Gunner's Bayonet: Gewher 98 Sawback ima-usa.com sels these bayonets made brand new, the finish of the handguards are the same.

Jean

?

Thank You for this information.
    Checked carefully link posted here and find a lot of differences. Handguards are only similar but not the same. Blades with fuller are rather different (my example has even more wide blade), metal looks different and the scabbards with all their metal details as well.

Generally it seems me that this sawback is still some older privately purchased item - too much differences with this nowadays repro.

?

Bruno, you are correct. The IMA reproduction is modern made, yours is a period piece made for dress use during or before WW1.