Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Seitengewehr, Bajonett und Säbel (Side rifle, bayonet and saber)

Article about: Hello, I got 3 side rifles. I think it's German and English from World War I. The things are very very rusty. I would like to present you the pictures. But not all at once but gradually. I s

Default Seitengewehr, Bajonett und Säbel (Side rifle, bayonet and saber)

Hello,
    I got 3 side rifles. I think it's German and English from World War I. The things are very very rusty.
    I would like to present you the pictures. But not all at once but gradually.
    I start with the smallest. I think it is from England, 1.WW?
    I hope you can help me identify

Dan
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Seitengewehr, Bajonett und Säbel (Side rifle, bayonet and saber)   Seitengewehr, Bajonett und Säbel (Side rifle, bayonet and saber)  

Seitengewehr, Bajonett und Säbel (Side rifle, bayonet and saber)   Seitengewehr, Bajonett und Säbel (Side rifle, bayonet and saber)  

It is a British No4 MK2 bayonet from the Second World War.

Thanks, is that collectable? Hard to recognize but yet "history"

Here comes the second one
    I think it is from the 1.WW. German?
    There are no signs to recognize. Also very broken.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Seitengewehr, Bajonett und Säbel (Side rifle, bayonet and saber)   Seitengewehr, Bajonett und Säbel (Side rifle, bayonet and saber)  

Seitengewehr, Bajonett und Säbel (Side rifle, bayonet and saber)   Seitengewehr, Bajonett und Säbel (Side rifle, bayonet and saber)  

The second one is the French Gras bayonet, in use from the late 1870's and used by numerous armies, and navies. This one the hilt hasn't been ground down to fit a German rifle, so probably not German used. French reserves may still have been using the Gras rifle and bayonet at the start of the First World War and Imperial Russia also used the Gras rifle and bayonet to a limited extent. Where was this relic found?

Thanks Anderson,
    All bayonets are from a German collector. He died and his widow organized the sale. I think it was found in Germany.

And now comes the last one.
    Look at the pictures. On top of the blade seems to be a curl (spiral).
    On the quillons stands: 43.I.R. - I believe to read.

Last one is a Belgian M1916 bayonet.

Thanks guys. 2 from WW2, 1 from WW1. Who knows?
    But, what du you think... Are these good pieces? There are much better ones. Very rusty but with history.
    I paid for all 30 EUR. I think it's OK.

I'd say you did ok. In my experience the M1916 is tricky to come by but it might be different on the Continent. Just hang onto them until better examples come along, that's what I would do.

OK, Thanks

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast