Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here

socket bayonet markings id please

Article about: good afternoon, I wonder if anyone can identify the markings on these 2 socket bayonets for me; The first is probably a .577 Martini with a 19 inch blade and the only markings are a squared

Default socket bayonet markings id please

good afternoon, I wonder if anyone can identify the markings on these 2 socket bayonets for me;
    The first is probably a .577 Martini with a 19 inch blade and the only markings are a squared off C.
    What does this marking stand for?

the second one is much older, has a 15.75 inch blade and 2 sets of markings, one a crown
    B
    18 (it might be 16)
    EX

beneath this there is some script but I can't make it out

and the other markings, to be read looking from the front, G F
    X

any thoughts as to what this is all about?

many thanks as always

Davesocket bayonet markings id pleasesocket bayonet markings id pleasesocket bayonet markings id pleasesocket bayonet markings id pleasesocket bayonet markings id please
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture socket bayonet markings id please   socket bayonet markings id please  

socket bayonet markings id please   socket bayonet markings id please  

The first one I would question whether it is Martini-Henry. No British proof marks and seems to be too deeply fullered. No idea what the "c" is. I'll leave that to others.

The second older one is of more interest to me. It's a Pattern 1842 British bayonet with the Lovell catch, made by "John Roe" a bayonet maker from West Bromwich who was in business between 1835-1864. It has a Birmingham RSAF inspection mark, the "x" near the shoulder is probably a bend test mark, the "EX" I'm not sure possibly Essex Regiment, and not sure of the "G F?". This bayonet was made after 1844 and up until early 1850's.

many thanks Anderson, once again you have solved the mystery - well it was a mystery to me anyway! And yes, the other one is more deeply fullered and has no markings apart from the C. Perhaps someone else will know what that is.

many thanks, Dave