Become our sponsor and display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Spear, bow and arrows and shield.

Article about: Need information on these items. Hope I'm posting this in the right area.

I imagine!
    Only had a little bird of Collin, once.
    How big is it and is there any bronze cast mark on it.
    |<
    Always looking for Belgian Congo stuff!
    cheers
    |<ris

All three spears are African, although I do not believe any of them to be Zulu. The blades are not really the correct shape. If you can supply good close-ups of the blades I would be able to give you a definite answer.

cheers,
    Steve.
    Author of... 'Belfast Diaries: A Gunner In Northern Ireland'... 'A Tough Nut To Crack: Andersonstown.. Voices From 9 Battery Royal Artillery In Northern Ireland'... 'An Accrington Pal: The Diaries of Pte Jack Smallshaw, September 1914 To March 1919'.

It's about 10" high. There's a mark, i think its cire Perdue. Vilsouni .... Not sure spelling. I can check tomorrow. I would love to see your bird if you still have it. His pieces are pretty valuable.

Harry, i think you're right. The zulu spears are wider on the end. I'll attach a picture. Thank you!!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	241.3 KB 
ID:	845343   Click image for larger version. 

Views:	25 
Size:	242.3 KB 
ID:	845344  

Click image for larger version. 

Views:	19 
Size:	238.9 KB 
ID:	845345   Click image for larger version. 

Views:	19 
Size:	238.1 KB 
ID:	845346  

Very cool!

Almost impossible to definitively ascribe the weapons to any one exact tribe or era. So many African pieces were simply anonymous and generic. Maasai? Bushman? Somalian? They do look to be from the turn of the last century or even abit older. Every tribe had their own "style", but that style was constantly evolving and changing over time.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

I'm fairly certain they are not Zulu. The shape of the blade is wrong, and the two characteristic 'nicks' at the back of the blade are absent. This is the point where the blade is held while it is being hammered into shape. Another characteristic of Zulu weapons is the 'swelling' at the end of the shaft. The purpose of this is to stop the hand slipping off the end when retrieving the spear if it is soaked in blood. Different African tribes have different styles of spears, although some methods of construction are employed by most tribes. A few pictures of my spears... If you look at the picture showing the three blades you will see that the top blade is of a different shape, this one is NOT a Zulu spear. The blade next to the tape measure is a Zulu iKlwa - or stabbing spear. The blades might look similar, but they are not the same! The bottom two spears in the photo are also Zulu iKlwa spears. The photo of the end of the shaft shows the characteristic swelling found on all Zulu spears. If your spears don't have this, they're not Zulu!

Cheers,
    Steve.

Name:  DSCF0246.jpg
Views: 53
Size:  15.6 KBName:  DSCF4494.jpg
Views: 55
Size:  32.9 KBName:  DSCF4501.jpg
Views: 53
Size:  31.1 KB
    Author of... 'Belfast Diaries: A Gunner In Northern Ireland'... 'A Tough Nut To Crack: Andersonstown.. Voices From 9 Battery Royal Artillery In Northern Ireland'... 'An Accrington Pal: The Diaries of Pte Jack Smallshaw, September 1914 To March 1919'.

African weapons can indeed be ascribe to a region or tribe.
    But I need to check it when having more time.
    There is a book in Flemish and probably also in French concerning African weapons.
    It is called "Deadly beautiful".
    Here is my copy.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Click image for larger version. 

Name:	congo boek 001.JPG 
Views:	17 
Size:	113.0 KB 
ID:	845838   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	congo boek 002.JPG 
Views:	21 
Size:	79.7 KB 
ID:	845839  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	congo boek 003.JPG 
Views:	14 
Size:	104.5 KB 
ID:	845840   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	congo boek 004.JPG 
Views:	16 
Size:	120.2 KB 
ID:	845841  

cheers
    |<ris

Quote by Kim Dyer London View Post
    It's about 10" high. There's a mark, i think its cire Perdue. Vilsouni .... Not sure spelling. I can check tomorrow. I would love to see your bird if you still have it. His pieces are pretty valuable.
    Most of the guy's work was cire perdue, that is what makes is work so valuable.
    Vilsouni, doesn't ring any bell to me.......!
    I must have a pic of the bird, but this was long before the digitale time, it must be in a box ......somewhere.....!
    cheers
    |<ris
    cheers
    |<ris

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12