Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Strange re-worked butcher

Article about: Hi guys - could You help me with that strange bayo? It is obviously some re-issue of famous German m1898/05 "butcher" but it´s not look like usual turkish re-worked "butchers&

?

Default Strange re-worked butcher

Hi guys - could You help me with that strange bayo?

It is obviously some re-issue of famous German m1898/05 "butcher" but it´s not look like usual turkish re-worked "butchers":
    - too long for turkish re-issue - blade length is 26cm
    - it retains original shortened scabbard - not with the new one as turkish "butchers" usually have
    - blade is "machete"-like even after being shortened (not like the turkishy ones)
    - blade has a crazy famous Bowie-knife tip!

No any markings - older or new ones..

All this set seems rather old and has clearly some military (not private re-issue) feeling - but what country and/or army?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Strange re-worked butcher   Strange re-worked butcher  

Strange re-worked butcher   Strange re-worked butcher  

Strange re-worked butcher   Strange re-worked butcher  

Strange re-worked butcher  

?

My honest opinion is that this was reworked by someone privately. They took a relic condition 98/05 and ground, sanded and welded it into what you see now. The frog stud is electrically welded (arc, or MIG) and at the time that other counties were reworking these for their military, it would have been brazed. The Bowie blade became really popular in the 50's thanks to TV shows like Davey Crockett and the like. I would say that it was done sometime from that point on, which would show some age on it.

Jim

I've not seen anything quiet like this before but I'm inclined to agree with the above.

?

It could be turkish shortage of a S98/05 later upgraded by someone by filling of bowie shaped tip and new grips added.

?

for a trench or fighting knife the tip isn't nearly pointy enough. if i would adapt a bayonet for fighting i would definitely make it pointy as a needle.

with the "blunt" tip it looks more suitable for a hunting knife, with skinning etc.

Quote by AndyB View Post
    It could be turkish shortage of a S98/05 later upgraded by someone by filling of bowie shaped tip and new grips added.
    So it is, Andy.

The bowie style was used in WW2(MK. 2 AKA the Ka-Bar comes to mind) and I have read that some would "round" the tip on FS knives and the like to make them not so needle like(They thought if too sharp they would stick to the ribs) Just my 2 cents.

Strange re-worked butcherStrange re-worked butcherStrange re-worked butcherStrange re-worked butcherStrange re-worked butcherStrange re-worked butcherStrange re-worked butcherStrange re-worked butcher

Hi, mates !

For comparison this turkish shortened SG98/05, (note the bulgarian frog):

?

Thanks for everybody answering me and discussing about!

Just my small point - bayo we discussed here can´t be done from some turkish reissued version because:
    - turkish reissued butchers had shorter blade
    - turkish reissue had a blade with equal width also (not machete-like)

So my conclusion is that this bayo was directly done from full-size butcher - by someone and just for fun..

And I also found this private reissue has a very good proportions - better than original (or turkish reisue)..