Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

SVT-40 Bayonet market find

Article about: I just picked up this SVT-40 bayonet at my local market. At approx \\$35 both buyer and seller were happy. I own a mint refurbed example already but I liked the early scabbard, battered as it

?

Default SVT-40 Bayonet market find

I just picked up this SVT-40 bayonet at my local market.

At approx $35 both buyer and seller were happy. I own a mint refurbed example already but I liked the early scabbard, battered as it is.

The bayonet has seen a second life, maybe as a fighting knife, but perhaps more likely in someone's kitchen or garden.

I'm normally against 'improving' collectables but I might try and clean this up with a bit of WD40 and linseed oil.

These bayonets are being offered for ridiculous money these days so I couldn't pass it by.

?

I assume this is already a sharpened and well used bayonet. oiling would help.b.r.Andy

I would not consider cleaning & oiling as 'improving' but rather as normal maintenance. Nice find!

?

Now I have a nice SVT-38 bayonet as a 'big brother' for my SVT-40 bayonets. A good Ukrainian internet find.

To be honest, I didn't even know such a bayonet existed for the SVT rifles (of the same dimensions as the AVS-36).

Every day is a school day.

?

Like at the apocryphal bus stop. You wait for ages and three turn up at once... Another internet find.

The scabbard looks like it's been in the ground for a while but the bayonet is sound.

?

Here is my mint refurb. Also in a late model scabbard (clearly the inspiration for the later AK47 bayonet scabbard). Sorry for the poor picture. The bayonet's in storage but you get the idea.

?

Accidentally picked up another (top). Interesting to compare the evolution of scabbards.