Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Swiss Army Knives

Article about: It's my day off and there's a foot of snow on the ground and it's snowing again. So I thought I'd dig these out and share. In the middle of 2008 is when they switched models, that's why the

Default Swiss Army Knives

It's my day off and there's a foot of snow on the ground and it's snowing again. So I thought I'd dig these out and share. In the middle of 2008 is when they switched models, that's why the 2 have the same year. Still looking for that one without the 1 of 1000 stamp.

1890 was the first issue of a pocket knife, it had wooden scales, a cutting blade and a flat screw driver blade.
    1901 they introduced synthetic scales
    1908 they added a block in the handle to seperate the srpings
    1908 2nd variant they made the blades of stainless steel
    M51 still looked the same, but they changed from a clip point blade to more rounded, and changed the logo on the scale
    M61 changed scales to aluminum, r style changed, bottle opener added, awl changed shape from round to more of a flat stamped piece
    M08 complete overhaul, liner lock added for blade and screwdriver, saw added, cross slot screwdriver added, blade serrated, hole added to blade for one-handed opening

Top is M1908 dated '40 Elsener
    M61 3rd variant '66 Elsener
    M61 4th variant '08 Victorinox
    M08 '08 Victorinox
    M08 '09 Victorinox
    Swiss Army Knives
    Swiss Army Knives
    Swiss Army Knives
    Swiss Army Knives
    Swiss Army Knives
    Swiss Army Knives
    Swiss Army Knives

And of course they made the new one for the civvie market as well, and did make one for the Bundeswehr for a time. My example is made by Victorinox. The hole in the blade is longer, and not as round, maker marked on the bolster.

Swiss Army Knives
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Swiss Army Knives  

Default Re: Swiss Army Knives

And of course the Swiss weren't the only ones, a couple pf other countries looked into a pocket knife for their troops

Swiss Army Knives

and the French

Swiss Army Knives

?

A nice presentation Pete, for more information that will help you with your collection of real Swiss army knives here is a good site with accurate information on the full line of REAL SAKs actually issued to the soldiers of the Swiss Army from 1890 to 2012:

http://couteauxarmee.e-monsite.com/

Google translate can help you if you do not speak French.

Thank you, that's actually the site I use, I don't speak french all that well, but this site has helped with it a little lol I used to collect alot of Swiss militaria, but sold off most of it to buy more Brit kit and USMC 782 gear, but I couldn't give up my knives, I'm still looking for an earlier M61 and an M51.