Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Are they German or Swiss Bayonets and best way to restore?

Article about: Gents, Recently acquired the two pictured bayonets. Are they German or Swiss? Over 20inches long, saw back, and completely flat on one side. As the background of the photo can attest, histor

fokker100
    ?

Default Are they German or Swiss Bayonets and best way to restore?

Gents,

Recently acquired the two pictured bayonets. Are they German or Swiss?

Are they German or Swiss Bayonets and best way to restore?Are they German or Swiss Bayonets and best way to restore?

Over 20inches long, saw back, and completely flat on one side.

As the background of the photo can attest, historical edged weapons are not my niche - any help in the type of weapon they would have been attached too, or any suggested links - I'm sure they are out there but thought I would come here first.

Suggestions on restoration would also be appreciated - most light surface rust on the hilt and some corrosion on the handle.

Cheers,
    Don

?

Default Re: Are they German or Swiss Bayonets and best way to restore?

Swiss Army sawback bayo WW1 IMO
    I think it fits the K31
    Last edited by Bill T; 01-29-2012 at 11:47 PM.

Swiss. Use a copper brush and rub on some grease. That's all.
    Emile

Agreed - Swiss - M1914 'Pioneer' bayonet for the Schmidt-Rubin rifles.

Swiss Bayonets

One seems to have been heavily cleaned already. A light coat of oil
    will be sufficient to remove some surface rust and keep them
    in their current condition.........
    Regards,

Steve.

when i lived in Zurich i would pick these up at antique fairs, flea markets and off their swiss only Ebay equivalent, Ricardo.ch, for super cheap and sell them back in the US for a tidy profit.

Walkwolf is right: thats the model m1914 bayonet, which was long and scary and serrated but really was supposed to be more of a machete than a weapon. As it was issued to engineer/"pionier" troops, artillerymen etc, it was thought to be used clearing brush and what not more than it was thought of as a weapon.

as the Swiss army monbilized but never fought when these were issued, they're almost always in exceptionally good condition and can appear to be "new" or "unissued". most of them i think were issued, but they just were basically never used in any meaningful way, thrown into a warehouse, and then sold off as surplus some decades later.

Elsener Schwyz, the maker you've got stamped there, is the original name of the present day company "Victorinox", which is one of the two makers of the red folding "swiss army knife". They make luggage and all sorts of things carry the brand name now.

they are designed to fit the K31 rifle. i have one of these on my k31 in my living room as i speak on display.

fokker100
    ?

Thank you so much for the reply and background info.

?

I love these and have one that was made at WAFFENFABRIK NEUHAUSEN. Mine has the earlier leather scabbard. I also have mine mounted on a K31. Nothing beats a bayonet that is 1/3 the length of the rifle its mounted on...
    Great info given above.

Semper Fi
    Phil

SRB
    ?

M1914 Pioneer bayonet.
    the M1914 bayonet for K31 rifles.

?

M914 bayonets were destined for M1911 Schmidt Rubin Carbines, but Your piece with the high 685431 number was serialed already to a M1931 carbine. b.r.Andy

I found mine when I was 14 years old at a Army surplus store.
    My Boy Scout Master was a little worried when I carried it camping instead of a
    hatchet. Just like when I traded my canteen for a wine bota. What can
    I say, It was the late 60's early 70s and my rebellious side was already coming out.
    Attached Images Attached Images Are they German or Swiss Bayonets and best way to restore? 
    Last edited by Chopperman; 07-10-2016 at 03:51 AM.
    gregM
    Live to ride -- Ride to live

I was addicted to the "Hokey-Pokey" but I've turned
    myself around.