Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Treasure or Trash ?

Article about: Zwerge That is one beautiful knife and to have the family history and the sheath is great. I thought from the style and markings that it is one of the Bowie style hunting knives post 1891(ma

?

Default Treasure or Trash ?

I was given this knife and would like to know what it is.On the blade it`s marked ..M. Dickinson Sheffield,and ,..The Invicta England..being as it`s English I thought you chaps could identify it please.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Treasure or Trash ?   Treasure or Trash ?  

JEDEM DAS SEINE

Default Re: Treasure or Trash ?

I cannot add much.

EM Dickinson was a knife maker from Sheffield. One of hundreds of small makers found in the city.

I would suspect the knife is Victorian in date going by the design. This is completely outside my area so I have no idea of value. But I would not call it trash? But I don't think you would retire on the proceeds either.

Cheers, Ade.

?

Thanks Ade,I just thought it was an interesting old well used knife,who knows,some day I might find a treasure.
    JEDEM DAS SEINE

Hi Zwerge,

I concur with what Ade says. The Invicta name was used on a wide variety of Dickinsons knives from hunting Bowies to what yours is, a carving set (or rather one half of). My guess is it's late 19th-early 20th century, possibly silver but probably EPNS.

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

?

Thanks Ned,I guess I can`t retire on the proceeds as Ade said,but wait!! I forgot I`m already retired,my missus says my brain retired long before I did.
    JEDEM DAS SEINE

?

for Bowies post them here. These guys will be on a Bowie like a duck on a june bug.

Bernard Levine's Knife Collecting & Identification - BladeForums.com

?

Quote by copdoc View Post
    for Bowies post them here. These guys will be on a Bowie like a duck on a june bug.

Bernard Levine's Knife Collecting & Identification - BladeForums.com
    Actually I do have a Bowie,It was my grandfathers that he had as a boy scout,he was born in 1881 so it must be over 100 years old.If nobody here has any info on it I will try the other website.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Treasure or Trash ?   Treasure or Trash ?  

Treasure or Trash ?   Treasure or Trash ?  

JEDEM DAS SEINE

Hi Zwerge,

Your Bowie is certainly a treasure!! Legend has it that Jim Bowie's body was found bearing a Wostenholm I*XL at the Alamo in 1836.

The one you show was made prior to 1875 when the blades had the inscription 'LTD.' added. It was also made after 1848, as prior to that the blades were marked 'Rockingham' not 'Washington' as their place of manufacture.

Your knife appears in very good condition compared to others of the period, and crucially, has it's original sheath, which most often has been lost. I would not hesitate to say it's worth $600-$750 on a good day.

Regards, Ned.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

?

Thank you very much for the info Ned, the sheath has had the hanger replaced oterwise it`s in fair condition,so I guess I will keep the old knife as a memento of my grandfather.
    JEDEM DAS SEINE

I was slightly concerned by the snap fastener on the hanger at first Zwerge, but on checking up, i found surprisingly, they were invented in 1849 in Germany, and as such are in period.

The replacement hanger is not unexpected, and will not effect the value to any extent.

Regards, Ned.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast