Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Turkish Bayonet Gallipoli

Article about: Heres some pics of my Turkish Bayonet , brought back to Oz from Gallipoli , Ive posted it on other forums in years past , but for those that havent seen it , here it is. One of my most prize

Default Turkish Bayonet Gallipoli

Heres some pics of my Turkish Bayonet , brought back to Oz from Gallipoli , Ive posted it on other forums in years past , but for those that havent seen it , here it is.
    One of my most prized items in my collection.

I've got one of these bring backs too, full length but no scabbard. Any ideas which rifle its off?

Quote by m3bobby View Post
    I've got one of these bring backs too, full length but no scabbard. Any ideas which rifle its off?
    One of the various Mauser or Gewehr models used by Turkey during WW1 I would think.
    That's a very nice piece Kenworth.
    Congrat's mate

Dave

Wow! I was in Gallipoli last year so great to see this

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

Quote by m3bobby View Post
    Hi Mate,
    No idea mate , My grandfather brought it home from WW1 , he died in 1968 when I was only 5 years old

?

Nice bayonet.

It's a shortened M1890 pattern bayo (blade reduced from 18 inches to 10) with the scabbard similarly shortened-fits on the M1890 7.65 x 53 mm Mauser rifle-the unusual thing is that the hooked quillon has been mostly removed and what was left of it bent backwards somewhat resembling the swept back cross guard of some of the later German Mauser bayos pre WW1. This looks like it was done in the field rather than at an arsenal as an official modification, although it has to be said that the Turks reworked and reused pretty much any equipment that was available to them over a very long period as Turkey was a poor country at war constantly before, during and well after WW1.