Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Type 30 Arisaka bayonet Real or Fake

Article about: Hi, I am a collector of Japanese militaria, have been for many years now and just recently found this great, informative and fascinating forum. Although not many Japanese pieces as far as I'

Default Type 30 Arisaka bayonet Real or Fake

Hi, I am a collector of Japanese militaria, have been for many years now and just recently found this great, informative and fascinating forum.

Although not many Japanese pieces as far as I've seen here its still an amazing forum and am really enjoying many a thread especially the ground dug battlefield finds.

Although i have a number of peices i will post i thought i would start with a piece that i cant quite put a definitive answer to the Real or fake question.

These are all the pics i have so far but i would be more than happy to take some more detaild pics if need be.

The information i have so far -

Type 30 Arisaka bayonet. late 18 to early 1900's I would estimate around 1920s based the the style.
    No arsenal stamps but the handle has the number 28 engraved on it.

What the number 28 signifies i do not know? could be a date, could be make number, could possibly have millitery meaning as i know you have to be very thorough in naming and numbering equipment so thats another possibility.

You probably cant see it in the pics(i shal take some more) but the blade is completely blunt.

The quillon and handle appear to be of the correct shape and age but the blade has always bugged me as although slightly rusted and pitted dose not appear original to me.

I know after the war allot of rifles were over stamped or had the stamp removed to be given to schools. it possible this was a dummy/practice bayonet for one of the schools and had the blade replaced. perhaps the number 28 was engraved as this was 28 out of however many bayonets they owned. But its just guessing really.

Thats why i would like to ask you all here what you think.
    Thanks-
    Seiebi (Darren)
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Type 30 Arisaka bayonet Real or Fake   Type 30 Arisaka bayonet Real or Fake  

Type 30 Arisaka bayonet Real or Fake  

Default Re: Type 30 Arisaka bayonet Real or Fake

This is a Japanese 'Training' bayonet.... There is a great book on Japanese Bayonets by my friend Ray Labar... BILL

Bayonets of Japan
    Attached Images Attached Images Type 30 Arisaka bayonet Real or Fake 
    "As long as there are brave men and warriors the halls of Valhalla will never be silent or empty"

In memory of my father William T. Grist December 26, 1920--September 10, 2009..
    901st. Ordnance H.A.M. North Africa, Italy, Southern France....ETO
    Also in memory of my mother Jane Kidd Grist Feb. 22, 1920-- September 27, 2009... WWll War bride May 1942...

Default Re: Type 30 Arisaka bayonet Real or Fake

Thanks Bill, I had suspected that this was infact a training bayonet or dummy/practice bayonet as i put it. Thanks

Looks like a great book, might have to grab myself a copy.

- Darren