Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

Unit marked Danish model 1843 sword;need help identifying regiments

Article about: I was lucky enough to just pick up this nice M1843 Danish sword which looks to be regimentally marked in 3 places. Can anyone advise me as to which regiments, etc. this sword belonged to and

Default Unit marked Danish model 1843 sword;need help identifying regiments

I was lucky enough to just pick up this nice M1843 Danish sword which looks to be regimentally marked in 3 places. Can anyone advise me as to which regiments, etc. this sword belonged to and any history on the unit(s)?
    Thanks
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Unit marked Danish model 1843 sword;need help identifying regiments   Unit marked Danish model 1843 sword;need help identifying regiments  

Unit marked Danish model 1843 sword;need help identifying regiments   Unit marked Danish model 1843 sword;need help identifying regiments  

Unit marked Danish model 1843 sword;need help identifying regiments   Unit marked Danish model 1843 sword;need help identifying regiments  

An interesting sword.

I will hazard a semi educated guess on the markings -

D. R. - Dragoon Regiment. E - Eskadrille - Squadron

If the German pattern is followed, 4 D R 1 E 25 would be 4th Dragoon Regiment, 1st Squadron, weapon 25.

A sword made in 1844 could well have been used during the First Schleswig War.

First Schleswig War - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Very cool; thank you for the information !!!

Respectively Yours,
    David

"Frederiksværk" is the danish weapons factory.
    "1944" is the year of produktion.
    "BGC" is Den Bestandige Geværcommision that made the quality control.
    "1 DR B 120" is 1st Dragoon regiment, 2nd Squadron, weapon number 120. (1. Dragonregiment 2. eskadron 120).
    "2 E 93" is 2nd sqadron, weapon number 93. This has also been used in the 1. regiment.
    "4 DR 1 E 25" is 4th Dragoon regiment, 1st Squadron, weapon number 25. (4. Dragonregiment 1. Eskadron 25).
    "6 DR 4 E 111" is 6th Dragoonregiment, 4th Squadron, weapon number 111. (6. Dragonregiment 4. Eskadron 111).

There was 6 dragoonregiments back then.

The M1843 cavalry sword was produced in at least 5287 pieces. It was used during both the Sleswig wars, 1848-1850 and 1864. They were issued to riders in most branches of the army, not only the dragoons.
    Yours is the unaltered version with two scabbard rings and the ring for the fingerstrap. These features was removed in the 1890's as far as I remember :confuse
    These swords are rarely seen with matching numbers. Back in the days, they stored scabbards and swords appart and reissued randomly without thought on numbers.

Here is a pic of my set of dragoon weapons. Both pistols and the sword are stamped "5 DR......" I have collected these because my great-great-great-grandfather was in the 5th dragoonregiment in the first Sleswig war. He was with the gendarmerie in the second Sleswig war, the sword actually has got both the dragoon and the gendarmerie stamps The gendarmerie also carried the M1843 sword, but had their own special pistols....

Also a pic from one of my books.

Best
    HB
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Unit marked Danish model 1843 sword;need help identifying regiments   Unit marked Danish model 1843 sword;need help identifying regiments  

Thanks for the great information! It must really be great to know one's family history from Europe.Can you tell me what the purpose of the large circles on the hammers on the guns ?
    Regards,
    David