?

Default unknown frog ?

Hello
    do you know that ?
    thanks for answers
    cordially
    Didier
    unknown frog ?

Certainly looks French to me, similar to the lebel bayonet frog, although it doesn't have a buckle.

?

thanks Spitace
    but unfortunately, absolutly unknown in France
    so which country ? mystery
    Didier

Greetings Bichon,

I believe Spitace41 is correct. According to Anthony Carter’s Bayonet Belt Frogs (on page 60, in the section covering French Frogs) “During the 1914-18 War many damaged French belt frogs were repaired by stitching new front sections in place. In order to simplify the repairs buckles were not fitted since it was found that a slot cut to allow a tight fitting frog to fit over the Model 1874 scabbard’s loop was an adequate way of carrying the bayonets.” Pictured below are two examples, from Carter’s Book.

While there are no apparent indications your posted frog was a repaired older model and no traditional rivets were used in its construction, I believe it’s probably an effort to construct a functional frog under early wartime (WWI) economic conditions. I’d recommend you attempt to see (carefully so as not to destroy the leather) if a Gras’ Bayonet Scabbard fits in there. If that’s not snug enough, then perhaps a Berthier’s scabbard would fit better.

Either case, the frog’s shape looks like no other countries’ style of frog except for France’s. Carter’s pictured (line drawings actually) examples of his modified frogs look similar to yours, but have the aforementioned rivets, which reinforce the fog’s belt loop’s stitching. I look forward to what our other collectors have to say.

Bien Cordialement,

Lance

unknown frog ?

?

Hello Gentlemen
    for sure, absolutly not french....
    unknown on french forum ??
    so bayonet or sword ?
    https://www.google.fr/search?q=porte...w=1280&bih=708
    Didier