Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Unknown Kukri

Article about: Hello all, Need a little assistance with this one. Not technically a trench knife but it is a fighting knife all the same. I picked this up with a Luftwaffe dagger, apparently a bring back b

Default Unknown Kukri

Hello all,

Need a little assistance with this one. Not technically a trench knife but it is a fighting knife all the same. I picked this up with a Luftwaffe dagger, apparently a bring back but I would like to know a little more about it.

It looks Indian perhaps, and is hand made in my opinion. It is quite ornate although the quality is rather poor. Does anyone have any ideas to its origins?Unknown KukriUnknown KukriUnknown KukriUnknown KukriUnknown Kukri

Default Re: Unknown Kukri

Hello, It's not a Kukri nor a fighting knife technically (although I suspect it would do the buisness if the need arises!). It is typical of a market / bazaar bought souvenir knife for ornamental or dress purposes. They have been sold across North africa, India, Middle East probably since time began! The shape has a slight Moroccan feel to me, however, its decoration is typical of Indian made examples. As stated they have been made for years so dating it is difficult.

Agreed, not a 'Kukri'. The info above is correct.........
    Regards,

Steve.

?

It is typically Indian type manufacture, they have a habit of decorating their metal items with dots on clothing etchings etc

Also agree with you Dave. The engraving is typical
    of Indian metalwork - crude and naive.........
    Regards,

Steve.

In terms of it's shape and style, I would say it is a 'Jambiya' rather than a 'Kukhri'. The Jambiya is a weapon associated with Arab tradition rather than Indian, but I would agree it's probably a bazaar bought souvenir item, rather than a real weapon.

Rob

Quote by Battery Command Post View Post
    In terms of it's shape and style, I would say it is a 'Jambiya' rather than a 'Kukhri'. The Jambiya is a weapon associated with Arab tradition rather than Indian, but I would agree it's probably a bazaar bought souvenir item, rather than a real weapon.

Rob
    Agreed.
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

Thanks for your opinion guys, it does have some natural age to it.

Agreed, I have seen VERY similar knives for sale in the Muskat Souq in Oman and in various markets in India.

I love these and I remember seeing them for sale in markets all over Jordan. I should ask members of my family if they have anything like this somewhere.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast