Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

US 1918 Trench Knife

Article about: Hello all, Here is my 1918 Trench knife for you to look at. It was made in France and any comments most welcome to it's authenticity. I do not have a scabbard and anyone who knows where I ma

Default US 1918 Trench Knife

Hello all,
    Here is my 1918 Trench knife for you to look at.
    It was made in France and any comments most welcome to it's authenticity.
    I do not have a scabbard and anyone who knows where I may find one please let me know.

Regards

Jim

With regards to lettering, the last photo is of another Au Lion and the lettering is similar. The Au Lion letters are bigger than the lF&C knives. My knife has been cleaned...not by me.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture US 1918 Trench Knife   US 1918 Trench Knife  

US 1918 Trench Knife   US 1918 Trench Knife  

Last edited by Paratrooper; 10-18-2010 at 12:55 AM.

rcs
    ?

Default re: US 1918 Trench Knife

Looks like a fake to me Jim, sorry to say.

regards,
    Rob

Yeah, the lettering looks to big, and the grips way too bright. I don't like it.

Hi Guys, it is a perfectly original French made knife, nothing wrong with it at all. See how one side of the guard has been cut down to make it fit closer to the hip when worn.

Now for the interesting bit.

I used to own this very knife. What is VERY annoying is that the dealer to whom I sold it has split it from the scabbard. It came in a US M6 leather scabbard. It was purchased back in the very early 1980's for £65 and was a walk in buy from the Vet. The scabbard had his name scratched into the leather on the reverse side "DS Warbrick" and "Anzio 1944". He had also removed the redundant US M1910 hanger and opened up the slits so it would fit onto a 1937 pattern British web belt.

Cheers, Ade.

I was about to say nice blade, I love the old brass knuckle knives, ***** that someone seperated it from the scabbard.

Quote by Adrian Stevenson View Post
    Hi Guys, it is a perfectly original French made knife, nothing wrong with it at all. See how one side of the guard has been cut down to make it fit closer to the hip when worn.

Now for the interesting bit.

I used to own this very knife. What is VERY annoying is that the dealer to whom I sold it has split it from the scabbard. It came in a US M6 leather scabbard. It was purchased back in the very early 1980's for £65 and was a walk in buy from the Vet. The scabbard had his name scratched into the leather on the reverse side "DS Warbrick" and "Anzio 1944". He had also removed the redundant US M1910 hanger and opened up the slits so it would fit onto a 1937 pattern British web belt.

Cheers, Ade.
    I hate when dealers do that. Someone spilt a bayonet from the scabbard becuase the #'s didn't match, but it was kept like that since the war. Can you explain why the lettering looks big. Did the soldier enlargen it, perhaps?

Quote by Blitzkrieg Bop View Post
    Can you explain why the lettering looks big. Did the soldier enlargen it, perhaps?
    This is a French made Au Lion knife: the lettering is different to that found on the US made knife.

I am really annoyed about this being split from the scabbard and the history now lost.

Cheers, Ade.

Default Re: US 1918 Trench Knife

Hello Ade,
    I cant't believe it! It is a small world. I bought this with the 1917 knife and 6 other knives in one lot from a collector thinning his collection out. A bit more than £65 now.
    The scabbard this knife was in was a home made job which was very crude and not the sacabbard you had (I wish)
    There was another two knuckle knife which I have never seen before I will post photos.
    One has the blade of a N04 bayonet a brass handle with knuckle and a crow foot stamp and that is it.
    The other was a US M1 bayonet with a knuckle guard fixed to it.

Regards

Jim

Why would he seperate it? It is better any how to have some type of scabbard so no one cuts themselves.

original WW1 knife surprised anyone else said otherwise. This one was reused in WWII as it was popular to grind down crossguards in WWII as crossguard doesn't hurt you when lying/falling on it. Also in WWII you usually see them in WWII scabbards (that's why it was in leather M6). Dealers will seperate them thinking not original to knife and to put scabbard with proper WWII knife. MANY of these knifes used in WWII were carried by paratroopers

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast